The server unexpectedly closed the connection

OK, thanks. How do I fix that?

If you have a

<VirtualHost *:80>

that works with every ip address. Same with *:443. So you have some restrictions, remove these.

I think the only difference between the two files apart from the SSL key info at the bottom is that the 443 file begins with and ends with:

Include /etc/letsencrypt/options-ssl-apache.conf

Sorry that should have read:

begins with <IfModule mod_ssl.c>

and ends with:

Include /etc/letsencrypt/options-ssl-apache.conf``

I'm not 100% certain this is correct analysis.
Please try:
curl 127.0.0.1:443
does it return the same as:
curl [::1]:443

Both responses are the same:

400 Bad Request

Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Reason: You're speaking plain HTTP to an SSL-enabled server port.
Instead use the HTTPS scheme to access this URL, please.

Apache/2.4.18 (Ubuntu) Server at blackboxstaff.co.uk Port 443

Ok then to confirm my suspicions please compare:
curl https://127.0.0.1:443
with
curl https://[::1]:443

[Even though it is kind of already there indirectly]

Both give same response :

curl: (51) SSL: certificate subject name (www.blackboxstaff.co.uk) does not match target host name '127.0.0.1'

curl: (51) SSL: certificate subject name (www.blackboxstaff.co.uk) does not match target host name '::1'

Well enough.
Apache is listening on IPv4 and IPv6.
And both return the same content (response).

So I wonder where that leaves me. Firewall? I have checked that the router is forwarding 443 and it seems to be.

Also forward 80 as well.

Yes, sorry it is doing

OK yes I see 80 connects.
443 seems to fail.

Do you have a firewall?
Is it allowing 443 and also forwarding it?

not sure UFW status is inactive but maybe the router is the issue although surely if the port is forwarded in the router it would not be firewalled?

I should probably use ufw too though should I not?

That depends largely on your network and how "trusted" the other local devices are.
[typically] The main firewall would only protect you from those outside your internal network.
The local firewall is there to also protect you from those inside that perimeter.

Very small office. No issues with trust within the local area network at this stage. Maybe that would change if the company was bigger in the future.

OK then can you confirm the firewall is allowing 443 and to which IP, and port, it is forwarding to?

It’s located about half a mile away but I checked it yesterday and the port forwarding was forwarding 80 and 443 to the LAMP server’s IP. I’m less sure about the Firewall as I don’t know enough about it to know what I’m looking at.

Well, it is kind of a stopping point.
That must be verified.
Before I would continue.

Are you familiar with the Apache logs?
Can you see if there are any port 443 accesses in the logs?