The correct way to merge two certificates with certbot?

I have 2 issued certificates:

/archive/example.com/cert1.pem
    example.com
    www.example.com
    admin.example.com
    stats.example.com
    cdn.example.com

/archive/foo.example.com/cert1.pem
    foo.example.com

I realized that foo.example.com was best consolidated onto the example.com cert.

I ran certbot with --expand and enumerated all the domains I wanted

That successfully gave me a new cert as /archive/example.com/cert2.pem Great.

I’m left with two concerns that I couldn’t find in the docs:

1. Looking at the code, it seems to just try and auto-detect which certificate has the most similar domains and uses that as the destination. It’s not possible to specify a target destination – is it? (i.e. expand onto foo.example.com or some new name)

2. It looks like the single cert for foo.example.com would still auto-renew and needs to be deleted from the system – correct?

Recent versions of certbot have the --cert-name option, corresponding to the directory in /live/ or /archive/ (also called "lineage" with the developers).

1 Like

[quote="jvanasco, post:1, topic:32325"]
It's not possible to specify a target destination -- is it? (i.e. expand onto foo.example.com or some new name)[/quote]

Historically not, but it is possible in recent enough Certbot versions with --cert-name.

That's correct. In recent enough Certbot versions there is a delete verb that you can use to do this (as opposed to simply deleting all references to it within /etc/letsencrypt).

1 Like

Thank you both! Glad to know I’m not doing things too wrong with Certbot.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.