Support for SHA384 and SHA512 Hashing Algorithms

Greetings, I am reaching out to see if your certs support SHA384 and SHA512 hashing algorithms today. I have not been able to find documentation on the site hence the reach out. Please let me know. Thanks.

2 Likes

The question is fairly generic and I'm not sure what exactly it is aimed at. Certificates do not directly "support" hashing algorithms. Rather they are a primitive used in various algorithms that may be either used within or encoded in the certificate.

One of the most prominent fields within a certificate where hashing algorithms are involved is the signature algorithm field. This field indicates the signature algorithm used to sign the certificate (which involves a hash).

This field has to be based upon the issuing certificate, because it's signed with the issuer's key. While not technically required, a common method is to use a hash method that scales with the keylength: 2048 bit RSA keys use SHA-256, 3072 bit use SHA-384 and 4096 bit uses SHA-512. For ECDSA, P-256 means SHA-256, P-384 SHA384 and so on.

Let's Encrypt currently has two active issuers:

R3 and E1. The signature algorithms for these certificates are as follows:

• For certificates signed by R3 (by default all certificates)
    • sha256WithRSAEncryption aka RSASSA‐PKCS1‐v1_5 with SHA‐256. This is because R3 is a 2048-bit RSA key.
  • For certificates signed by E1 (ECDSA leafs only; currently requires opt-in)
    • ecdsa-with-SHA384. This is because E1 is a P-384 key.

If your question was aimed at something different than the signature algorithm, please specify and we're happy to answer.

(Also, for clarification: The above signature algorithms are fixed and cannot be changed by the subscriber)

9 Likes

TL;DR: you need to ECDSA key with account opt in for ECDSA whitelist

6 Likes

I don't think this is very common. E.g. ISRG Root X1 is 4096-bits RSA, and both its self-sig and its signatures on R3/R4 intermediates are SHA-256.

For ECDSA, this is indeed the case; these are formal CA/B requirements.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.