Startencrypt from startcom

See my attached screenshot from the email announcement I received from startssl about their new service startencrypt. Will LE ever offer longer than 90 day certs or wildcards? I’m just curious, doesn’t bother me either way.

See A Funny Response for some discussion of this email. It’s unlikely, IMO, that LE will ever offer certs with greater than a 90-day duration, but I can always be wrong, and there are sure plenty of people who are complaining about the lifetimes.

I haven’t tried to run their binary (no source code? but the API is available). You should bare in mind that StartCom charge for revocations. Now that their Class-1 certificates supports up to 5 hosts you can play with the hosts order to avoid revocation.

Today with the DevOps movement a certificate with long validity and costs on revocations can be a serious hassle as the infrastructure is more dynamic.

I stopped using their service on April, so some stuff I mentioned may have changed (like charging for revocation or their algorithm to identify similar hosts on different certificates in the same class)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.