[Solved] $ sudo certbot --nginx fails :-(

sudo certbot --nginx
Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Error while running nginx -c /etc/nginx/nginx.conf -t.

nginx: [emerg] BIO_new_file("/etc/nginx/bubblin.crt") failed (SSL: error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory:fopen(’/etc/nginx/bubblin.crt’,‘r’) error:2006D080:BIO routines:BIO_new_file:no such file)
nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed

The nginx plugin is not working; there may be problems with your existing configuration.
The error was: MisconfigurationError(‘Error while running nginx -c /etc/nginx/nginx.conf -t.\n\nnginx: [emerg] BIO_new_file("/etc/nginx/bubblin.crt") failed (SSL: error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory:fopen(’/etc/nginx/bubblin.crt’,‘r’) error:2006D080:BIO routines:BIO_new_file:no such file)\nnginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed\n’,)

Hi @bubblinapp,

Do you have your nginx configuration located somewhere other than /etc/nginx/nginx.conf?

No, it's inside /etc/nginx/nginx.conf only. Pretty much standard configuration.

Sorry, I guess I didn’t look closely enough at the output! Do you recognize this reference to /etc/nginx/bubblin.crt? It sounds like it’s an existing certificate that you’ve referred to from somewhere in your nginx configuration?

Is nginx currently able to start up correctly on this system outside of the Certbot process?

Yes, found. It was sitting inside the sites-enabled/production_config of the older domain name we’re moving away from. Thank you so much @schoen!

:kissing_heart:

Cool! I’m glad you figured it out.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.