Running Client on Mac Fails - No such file or directory

I am trying to install and run the client on my MacBook Air with El Capitan Version 10.11.1 Beta (15B38b). My intention is to use the client to generate a certificate, then move it to my webhosting service, which uses cPanel with its own SSL/TSL Manager.

I already had Git, so cloned letsencrypt and then tried to run:

./letsencrypt-auto --agree-dev-preview --server \ https://acme-v01.api.letsencrypt.org/directory auth

as instructed in the invitation email. The result was:

Updating letsencrypt and virtual environment dependencies…/letsencrypt-auto: line 88: /Users/John/.local/share/letsencrypt/bin/pip: No such file or directory

And indeed there is no such file or directory. Would appreciate any help to get through this brick wall.

Thanks and regards

John

didnt the LE client only run on linux?

Not sure. Installation proceeded and installed a number of packages, appeared to conclude normally. Trying to run failed. However, during install, there was a message that said Mac support is very iffy… So maybe I need to wait until 16 November.

I got the same /home/user2/.local/share/letsencrypt/bin/pip: No such file or directory" error when attempting to install and run letsencrypt under a second user on the same machine. So I did the following which seemed to resolve it:

rm -rf /home/user1/.local
cd /home/user2/letsencrypt/bootstrap
./venv.sh

I did get a "Could not open requirements file: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'py26reqs.txt" error at the end but I think you can safely ignore that.

FYI OS X is not yet officially supported: https://github.com/letsencrypt/letsencrypt/issues/1975.

You might need to download and install quite a few libraries manually on OS X to make LE run smoothly. It seems to me that Python isn’t installed.

This is correct, needs many libraries to work, I would suggest installing with brew or pypi to solve the dependencies. I have it working on El Capitan just fine, so it is possible.

Same experience and setup here @StopSpazzing. And I agree, it’s definitely possible. Even for unexperienced users with minimal knowledge of Terminal and all the commands, like me (I remember MS DOS though - helpful). When you encounter errors, dig deeper and you will find solutions. I also met very experienced folks at the #letsencrypt IRC support chat.