Require assistance creating SSL cert for grafana; certbot access is denied by MSP. so need to generate externally and manually install

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: dashboard.albar.com - will strictly be used in house, no public facing IP
I ran this command: unsure what to do

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version): apache2 afaik

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: 123.net

I can login to a root shell on my machine yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site - no

Honestly, I don't know what to ask, just got tasked with making this work.

But that hostname does have two IP addresses configured:

dashboard.albar.com.	300	IN	A	172.67.215.175
dashboard.albar.com.	300	IN	A	104.21.45.149
;; Received 80 bytes from 172.64.34.70#53(norah.ns.cloudflare.com) in 5 ms

Looks like Cloudflare IP addresses though.

If you can't use those IP addresses for the purpose of Grafana, you could use the certbot-dns-cloudflare DNS plugin for Certbot, assuming you have access to the Cloudflare DNS zone of your domain.

Alternatively you could set up your own private CA. I've done that myself for my Home Assistant as I'm the sole user; thus I only had to install my private root on my PC and my Android phone.

2 Likes

If you dont want to get fired by your MSP for violating security policies, you should probably be working with them instead of trying to subvert them with a shadow IT project. If the MSP won't assist with this, then it might be time to find a better MSP.

2 Likes