Replacing existing certificate

Hello,

I wanted to change/replace current self-signed certificate with a new Let’s Encrypt one, and still wondering what’s the proper way to do it.
I am not a technician and thought I could create a new one in a different directory and edit the current sever configuration file to use it instead of the current one, and I could then have more time to figure out how to revoke the old certificate and key or any needed.
(This is for a new mail server which is on a separate machine, that I have been preparing “for a while” so the dns records have already been set.)

I now feel it might be much more complicated thing than I thought…
Do I have to revoke the current things (i.e. self-signed certificate and private key created using openssl) first using the same method as the previous one and then create a new Lets Encrypt one as normal? Or can / should I do this all using the new method (i.e. Lets Encrypt client)?

(When I tried to just create a new one as above, I got an error: status 403, authorization for these names not found existing or expired…)

I can’t seem to tell domain name here.
But I would greatly appreciate any advice and help.

Hi @cblu2se5t,

Could you fill in as much as possible of this form, please?

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.