Renewing Cert after server re-build

Hi,
During upgrade to SSD I disposed of my old HDD which had my jitsi meet server on it!

I was manually renewing the cert, and had a 19 day warning about a week ago to say it needs renewing by 12th December.
If i build the server again on the same IP address, is there a way to upgrade it or get it on my new server?
PS I am an enthusiastic amateur who built the server during Covid and just use it occasionally and am rather elderly so please be kind!

Thanks for your time

My domain is: cider123@duckdns.org

I ran this command: N/A

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu 22

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:Duckdns.org

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): I will be able to

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

Peter H

You need not concern yourself with what you had.
Simply focus on what you have now.
If you need a cert, then get [a new] one.
The criteria for which remains unchanged:

• if you manage the system at the IP of the FQDN requesting a cert, then you can easily use HTTP authentication to validate the cert request - this is the simplest method to automate and is covered by all ACME clients
  • if you manage the DNS zone that covers the FQDN requesting a cert, then you can also use DNS authentication to validate the cert request - note: this is not as simple to automate as it may sound, and requires *participation` by the DSP and the ACME client
  • there is a third method [HTTPS authentication] - but that is usually only used with special cases
    like: the system uses a built-in client which prefers it, HTTP authentication is NOT available, user has advanced knowledge/skills and desires/prefers implementing it, etc.
2 Likes

I just manage the server at the IP of the FQDN.
My query is just when I rebuild it and request a cert will letsencrypt produce another one when the old one is still valid as I want to keep the name!?
(I was wondering if I had to wait for it to expire and start again)

Yes.
That is NOT a problem.

No need to wait.
Up to five valid certs can be issued concurrently for any FQDN.

3 Likes

OK thanks, I hope to go ahead and rebuild without problems, at least with the cert!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.