Renewing a manually-issued (DNS challenge) certificate fails

I'm trying to renew a certificate for domain smtp.radiom.fr.
It's been issued with the following command:

/usr/bin/certbot certonly --manual --preferred-challenges dns -d smtp.radiom.fr

... because I can't have a webroot on this host.

I have a Cron job that tries to renew all the certificates I issued with:

/usr/bin/certbot renew --rsa-key-size 4096

... but it fails with the following error:

Processing /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/smtp.radiom.fr.conf

Cert is due for renewal, auto-renewing...
Could not choose appropriate plugin: The manual plugin is not working; there may be problems with your existing configuration.
The error was: PluginError('An authentication script must be provided with --manual-auth-hook when using the manual plugin non-interactively.',)
Attempting to renew cert from /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/smtp.radiom.fr.conf produced an unexpected error: The manual plugin is not working; there may be problems with your existing configuration.
The error was: PluginError('An authentication script must be provided with --manual-auth-hook when using the manual plugin non-interactively.',). Skipping.

My /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/smtp.radiom.fr.conf contains:

# renew_before_expiry = 30 days
version = 0.9.3
cert = /etc/letsencrypt/live/smtp.radiom.fr/cert.pem
privkey = /etc/letsencrypt/live/smtp.radiom.fr/privkey.pem
chain = /etc/letsencrypt/live/smtp.radiom.fr/chain.pem
fullchain = /etc/letsencrypt/live/smtp.radiom.fr/fullchain.pem

# Options used in the renewal process
[renewalparams]
authenticator = manual
installer = None
account = f94e3173b6dc085a046749d3bac1863c
manual_public_ip_logging_ok = True

I'm not sure where my problem is. If I was to manually renew this certificate because of the DNS challenge, that would be okay for me.
Thank you for your hints.

“renew” will not work for a “manually” obtained certificate - as it can’t automatically do it. You would need to manually obtain a new certificate every 2-3 months.

Alternatively use an API to your DNS and automate the process.

Thank you.
If I’m correct, certbot does not support DNS API, I’ll have to use another tool.

Certbot does now support using a DNS API (it didn’t until about a month ago). So you can use eutehr certbot, or one of the alternate clients, whichever works best for you.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.