Renewal message

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better.

My domain is:townhomesofaddison.com

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

I’ve recieved the following message:
Your certificate (or certificates) for the names listed below will expire in
19 days (on 21 Jun 17 20:35 +0000). Please make sure to renew
your certificate before then, or visitors to your website will encounter errors.

But when I check my provider I am told it is valid until 30 Jul 2017.

When does my certificate expire? Sorry if I sound stupid, I know nothing about this stuff and contracted someone to install LetsEncrypt for me. I actually have no idea how to renew it, I thought it was automatic.

Thank you, Chuck

2 Likes

Hi @cyberdjango,

Your current certificate is valid until July 30, as you thought.

This renewal message relates to a different certificate which you no longer use, which does not include the www version of your domain name. Let’s Encrypt has no way of knowing that the modification (to add www) also meant that you no longer need the old certificate, but in fact this is the case. There is some language further down in the renewal e-mail that’s meant to explain this situation, but you might not have been aware of the old certificate since you had someone else take care of the whole process. So, everything is OK for now.

Automated renewal is a feature of some software that uses Let’s Encrypt, but not all such software. There are dozens of different tools that get and use certificates from Let’s Encrypt, so it depends on which one you’re using. The recommended time for automated renewal is 30 days prior to the expiration of your certificate, so I would suggest double-checking on July 1 to make sure that your current certificate has been renewed by then.

While you’re at it, your site also has a security warning because of a mixed content problem. You might want to look at your site with https://whynopadlock.com/ to see how you can fix this problem and improve how secure browsers report that your site is.

Thank you for your rapid and helpful response. Best, Chuck

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.