Problems running on Debian jessie

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better.

My domain is: not relevant

I ran this command: certbot

It produced this output:

An unexpected error occurred:
ValueError: Entry points must be listed in groups
Please see the logfile ‘certbot.log’ for more details.

My operating system is (include version):
Linux Debian 8 (jessie)

My web server is (include version):
not relevant (Apache 2)

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):
yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
no

certbot.log file holds these information:
Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/bin/certbot", line 9, in <module> load_entry_point('certbot==0.8.1', 'console_scripts', 'certbot')() File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/certbot/main.py", line 700, in main plugins = plugins_disco.PluginsRegistry.find_all() File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/certbot/plugins/disco.py", line 173, in find_all for entry_point in entry_points: File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 706, in iter_entry_points entries = dist.get_entry_map(group) File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2577, in get_entry_map self._get_metadata('entry_points.txt'), self File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2311, in parse_map raise ValueError("Entry points must be listed in groups")

I’m completely lost here, I don’t have any knowledge about python. I installed certbot as described on eff.org (Apache2, Debian 8; backports repository for jessie). Anyone here who could shed some light on this?

Update:
Even trying to do a “manual” install with “certbot-auto” from eff.org, like described on github, failed with
SystemError: Bad call flags in PyCFunction_Call. METH_OLDARGS is no longer supported!

So I think maybe my python version (2.7.9) is too young for letsencrypt?!

Regards,
VerboEse

I don't believe the problem is the version - though you can install python3.4 from the standard jessie repositories (if the developer docs are up-to-date python3 is not yet supported by certbot). According to the requirements certbot uses your version of python. Note that cerbot is beta.
I didn't use certbot to install letsencrypt, but I am running Debian Jessie (without backports) so letsencrypt will install fine on a stock Jessie.

You could either:-

• install the version of certbot from Jessie backports (as root) echo "deb Index of /debian jessie-backports main contrib non-free" >> /etc/apt/sources.list;apt-get update;apt-get -yt jessie-backports letsencrypt
  • check that you have no package errors (as root apt-get -sf install|more), if errors exist fix them (as root apt-get -f install), and then/or reinstall python and see if it fixes the broken certbot python package (as root apt-get --reinstall install python2.7), then reinstall certbot, if problems still persist post the relevant lines from the errors (use nano -c $filename to find the relevant line) and readers may be able to help. If you choose that option I'd suggest you post the details to GitHub

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.