Permissions of .pem files stuck at 777

Hi all

I’m trying to set up SSL on my site, but new at this.

My problem is that the permissions of all the .pem files contained within /etc/letsencrypt/live/mydomain are set to 777 (rwxrwxrwx).

From what I’ve read they should be 400 or 600.

Currently I’ve got a database error when I try to access the site (I’m hoping it’s a permissions error, if not I’ll have to keep troubleshooting).

I can’t seem to change the permissions, no matter what I try. The files are group: root, owner: root.

sudo chmod doesn’t work, neither does changing the owner/group of the folder and previous folders to apache instead of root (which only worked when I used sudo chgrp -h root directoryname).

I’m on an AWS EC2 instance. Accessing the site via SSH and WinSCP.

Any help of even tips on where to find the answer would be appreciated.

within /etc/letsencrypt/live/mydomain these are symlinks, ( links to the files, not the actual files). If you follow the link to the “archive” directory, you should see what the real permissions on the files are.

1 Like

Ugh, stupid question. Thanks. Have changed them all to 600 and then 400 but no luck with the database error. Will fiddle and see if I can come right.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.