No valid IP found (http-01)

Guess I've always just used the alias (canonical) rather than a second address (A). In following along this topic I just keep feeling like there's supposed to be a private mail server on the subdomain.

You're absolutely right about avoiding the mail CNAME. I was referring to the www.

1 Like

I removed the MX record and added A record and pointed to my server IP

A record: Name: Blank Type: A TTL 3600 Target 35.235.111.128. The DNS server did not take any duplicate value as A record for the IP already exists. I am now getting the below error

Failed authorization procedure. mail.foriox.com (http-01): urn:ietf:params:acme:error:unauthorized :: The client la
cks sufficient authorization :: Invalid response from http://mail.foriox.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/ub5J5aKvfOo
QTaccp4_OOg9TYyOFr8SqZm0MXVE_nOU [75.126.102.248]: " \n
\n "
IMPORTANT NOTES:

1 Like

I am using myfreenon.com for my DNS. I entered as belowā€¦ please let em know if anything is incorrect. i know i have added multiple entries in hopes if any one of them works. MX record is not letting me point to the IP, DNS is taking only domain names

1 Like

My god, thereā€™s just sooooo much wrong with that DNS zone, I donā€™t know where to startā€¦

1 Like

Please let me know, i am a learner. I want to fix the MX record entries

1 Like
1 Like

Wellā€¦

If I were you, I would:

• Delete the www and mail A records
  • Add a CNAME record with www on the left and leave it blank on the right (note: often you use an @ sign instead of just leaving blank to refer to the base domain)
  • Delete the MX record with mail.foriox.ml on the right
  • Delete the MX record with mail on the left
  • Repost a screenshot of the corrected DNS zone

Hereā€™s a screenshot of one of my own DNS zones from GoDaddy to give you an example to look at. The Name is the left side and the Value is the right side.

1 Like

I made changes as suggested, the CNAME entry is throwing an error when i use www on the left side and either blank or @ on the right side. Attached the latest screenshot.

One additional question I have, I have been seeing in MX records have values e.g. mailstore1.secureserver.net. What is mailstore1.secureserver.net here? Do we need a separate email server? I have a mail server with postfix and dovecot, do i need anything else or anything I am missing here?

TIA

1 Like

Delete the www A record first. Then add the CNAME.

The only reason you need MX records is if the domain itself is not handling your mail (or requires a special subdomain to do so). That is why you see the GoDaddy secureserver records for my DNS zone. You say you have a mail server. What is its ip address?

If, by the way, you do need a subdomain to handle your mail, you would:

• Have one MX record that's blank on the left and the full subdomain on the right (e.g. mail.foriox.ml)
  • Add a corresponding A record with the subdomain on the left (e.g. mail) and the ip address of your mail server (could be same as your main domain) on the right

I realize you kinda had this setup before. You just had too many mail records going.

On a different note, you should definitely look adding a
SPF TXT record as well. You can find more info on that at What Is an SPF Record? | SPF Email Authentication | Mimecast.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. I have started understanding it. I have deleted the MX record since I am using my own mail server IP 35.235.111.128

I followed the instructions and deleted the www A record to replace it with CNAME record. The DNS is still throwing an error for the CNAME entry

1 Like

What are you trying to enter for the CNAME?

1 Like

As per the instruction, www was given for the left hand side entry (name) and blank on the right hand side (value).

I also tried blank CNAME name and @ for value with combinations.

1 Like

More like...

@ ttl in A ip.of.the.web.server
@ ttl in MX priority mail
mail ttl in A ip.of.the.mail.server
www ttl in CNAME @

You can avoid setting an MX record on @ and an A record on mail, because it will default to A for @, but that's not wise.

2 Likes

So I did some digging. It looks like for your CNAME records that you have to enter the full domain name (foriox.ml) on the right. GoDaddy allows me to just use @. You can also just use an A record with mail.foriox.ml on the left and your ip address on the right and skip the CNAME completely.

Soā€¦ letā€™s try with only these records:

• blank A 3600 35.235.111.128
  • www A 3600 35.235.111.128
  • mail A 3600 35.235.111.128
  • blank MX 3600 mail.foriox.ml (priority: 0)
1 Like

usually these two are different:

• mail.foriox.ml
  • mail.foriox.ml.

First one is relative, means mail.foriox.ml.@ -> mail.foriox.ml.foriox.ml thatā€™s usually not what you need/mean, you want just mail to mean mail.@.

Second one (note the dot at the end) is absolute.

I actually donā€™t remember if you can use relative names in MX records. On my domain it is absolute but I donā€™t know if I tried using a relative one.

2 Likes

Iā€™m usually all onboard @9peppe, but Iā€™m not sure how that relates here, though it is good to know. I believe the records I last suggested should work given the situation. The right side of an MX record is NOT relative in a freenom (or GoDaddy) dns zone.

I found out that you can use relative names for MX records IF THE DNS PROVIDER ALLOWS IT. :slightly_smiling_face: The problem is that many providers will strip the period from the end in the GUI and treat the MX record as absolute regardless. Just donā€™t point at a CNAME or youā€™re toast.

1 Like

Thanks i got the page @9peppe

1 Like

Thanks for your support, the settings got updated. My server is currently down and will update feedback after testing once my sever is up again.

1 Like

You need to know that putting a mailserver online is something not to be taken lightly. Itā€™s not easy to begin with, and spammers are everywhere waiting for your errors and misconfigurations. Good luck.

1 Like

Records are looking good. You are running the mail server on the same ip address as www.foriox.ml, correct?

1 Like