No valid IP addresses found: Amazon EC2

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better.

My domain is: www.footballtacticssimulator.com

I ran this command: sudo ./certbot-auto --debug -v --server https://acme-v01.api.letsencrypt.org/directory certonly -d footballtacticssimulator.com
(subsequently choosing webroot directory)

It produced this output:
Here(unfortunately only) is the final error output

Reporting to user: The following errors were reported by the server:

Domain: footballtacticssimulator.com
Type: unknownHost
Detail: No valid IP addresses found for footballtacticssimulator.com

To fix these errors, please make sure that your domain name was entered correctly and the DNS A record(s) for that domain contain(s) the right IP address.
Cleaning up challenges
Removing /var/www/html/.well-known/acme-challenge/VIsoWMW5PygiOSVksg46LaxnlNOGw6r90eut0iMRG7M
All challenges cleaned up, removing /var/www/html/.well-known/acme-challenge
Exiting abnormally:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/ubuntu/.local/share/letsencrypt/bin/letsencrypt”, line 11, in
sys.exit(main())
File “/home/ubuntu/.local/share/letsencrypt/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/certbot/main.py”, line 743, in main
return config.func(config, plugins)
File “/home/ubuntu/.local/share/letsencrypt/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/certbot/main.py”, line 683, in certonly
lineage = _get_and_save_cert(le_client, config, domains, certname, lineage)
File “/home/ubuntu/.local/share/letsencrypt/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/certbot/main.py”, line 82, in _get_and_save_cert
lineage = le_client.obtain_and_enroll_certificate(domains, certname)
File “/home/ubuntu/.local/share/letsencrypt/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/certbot/client.py”, line 344, in obtain_and_enroll_certificate
certr, chain, key, _ = self.obtain_certificate(domains)
File “/home/ubuntu/.local/share/letsencrypt/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/certbot/client.py”, line 313, in obtain_certificate
self.config.allow_subset_of_names)
File “/home/ubuntu/.local/share/letsencrypt/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/certbot/auth_handler.py”, line 81, in get_authorizations
self._respond(resp, best_effort)
File “/home/ubuntu/.local/share/letsencrypt/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/certbot/auth_handler.py”, line 138, in _respond
self._poll_challenges(chall_update, best_effort)
File “/home/ubuntu/.local/share/letsencrypt/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/certbot/auth_handler.py”, line 202, in _poll_challenges
raise errors.FailedChallenges(all_failed_achalls)
FailedChallenges: Failed authorization procedure. footballtacticssimulator.com (http-01): urn:acme:error:unknownHost :: The server could not resolve a domain name :: No valid IP addresses found for footballtacticssimulator.com
Please see the logfiles in /var/log/letsencrypt for more details.

IMPORTANT NOTES:

• The following errors were reported by the server:

Domain: footballtacticssimulator.com
    Type: unknownHost
    Detail: No valid IP addresses found for
    footballtacticssimulator.com

To fix these errors, please make sure that your domain name was
    entered correctly and the DNS A record(s) for that domain
    contain(s) the right IP address.

• Your account credentials have been saved in your Certbot
    configuration directory at /etc/letsencrypt. You should make a
    secure backup of this folder now. This configuration directory will
    also contain certificates and private keys obtained by Certbot so
    making regular backups of this folder is ideal.

My web server is (include version): Apache 2

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.13.0-44-generic x86_64)

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Amazon Ec2 instance

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): Yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):No

I have checked my elastic Ip (52.16.161.109) is set as my A record set.

Please remember I am not a professional sysadminm. What have I failed to do properly?

you forgot the www. :slight_smile:

If you want your https site to be accessible both with and without www, you need to create both A records and request both names in the certbot command.

1 Like

Ah really? The tutorial I followed didn-t mention he had set up his like so, oh humpf. Thanks for your time,

How can I refresh the process and then go changing the domain info?

re run
sudo ./certbot-auto --debug -v --server https://acme-v01.api.letsencrypt.org/directory certonly -d footballtacticssimulator.com
changing the domain name at end?

If you just want the www version, yes, that should work.

Thanks, sorry for delay, internet service crashed!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.