No valid a records found using certbot in nextcloud jail

Sorry guys I'm beyond a total noob at this. I was following this How To Install Nextcloud On TrueNAS And Obtain SSL Certificate from Let’s Encrypt with Certbot - YouTube tutorial when i received the error

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:
yeranossianstorage.xyz

I ran this command:
certbot --nginx -d yeranossianstorage.xyz

It produced this output:
Certbot failed to authenticate some domains (authenticator: nginx). The Certificate Authority reported these problems:
Domain: yeranossianstorage.xyz
Type: dns
Detail: no valid A records found for yeranossianstorage.xyz; no valid AAAA records found for yeranossianstorage.xyz

Hint: The Certificate Authority failed to verify the temporary nginx configuration changes made by Certbot. Ensure the listed domains point to this nginx server and that it is accessible from the internet.

Your domain is pointing to 192.168.1.152, which is a private IP address. It needs a public one or the validator servers won't be able to reach it.

2 Likes

sorry im such a noob, but what ip address would work then? Was I not supposed to point the site to my nextcloud jail?

To your public IP address, if you want Nextcloud to be visible from the internet. Then you have to handle the routing from the public IP to the jail yourself.

2 Likes

okay i think im getting somewhere now. So my domain is pointing to my public ip, then my port forward handles getting it to the specific private address of the jail, correct?

1 Like

Sounds ok.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.