Nginx plugin not working

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: jmwdlinuxserver1.com

I ran this command: ./opt/letsencrypt/certbot-auto --nginx

It produced this output: The nginx plugin is not working; there may be problems with your existing configuration. The error was: NoInstallationError()

My web server is (include version): Debian 5

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): Yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): No

Debian 5? As in Lenny? End-of-life since 2012 :frowning:. I would be very surprised if Certbot could run successfully in this environment.

Could you please run lsb_release -a and show the output?

Could you run with more verbose logging and show the output:

./opt/letsencrypt/certbot-auto -vvv --nginx

No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Description: Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.8 (lenny)
Release: 5.0.8
Codename: lenny

I know we used Let’s Encrypt before on this server, but maybe not Certbot??

If you can’t figure out what you used, maybe give a client that has less dependencies a go. It may give you better luck, due to the age of your OS:

Depending on whether you have a newer OpenSSL backported to Lenny or not, you may need to be careful which clients and authorization challenges you use, as SNI may not be available.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.