New installation of snap on Fedora 36, and clean install of certbot, but first operation (certbot --apache) fails

My domains are:
tryx.org, hillsidedavis.us (*.tryx.org, *.hillsidedavis.us)

I ran this command:
Initially:
certbot --apache

eventually:
certbot --authenticator standalone --installer apache -d tryx.org -d *.tryx.org -d hillsidedavis.us -d *.hillsidedavis.us

It produced this output:
Client with the currently selected authenticator does not support any combination of challenges that will satisfy the CA. You may need to use an authenticator plugin that can do challenges over DNS.

My web server is (include version):
Apache/2.4.54 (Fedora Linux)

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
Fedora 36

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):
Yes.

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):
certbot 1.32.0

I don't think I have anything to add beyond what the form has asked me to provide.

Thanks for the help,

Chrisl

When you request a wildcard cert you must use the DNS Challenge. Both the --apache and --standalone plug-ins use the HTTP Challenge only.

If you don't need the wildcard just replacing that name with the explicit names you need should allow the command to work with either but --apache probably easier.

A DNS Challenge is often harder to setup than HTTP and especially to automate it.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.