Need beginner support in detail for multi-level sub domain setup done using easy engine

My domain is: it doesn’t work with any sub domains, you can try it with any sub domain like a.b.c.com and it works for the top level domain c.com alone.

I ran this command: easy engine lets encrypt used

It produced this output:

“Unable to setup, Let’s Encrypt
Please make sure that your site is pointed to
same server on which you are running Let’s Encrypt Client
to allow it to verify the site automatically.”

My web server is (include version): ubuntu 14.04 server with nginx using easy engine

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): ubintu 14.04 web server

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: ovh.com

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no

Hi @mschatportal,

It seems to me that your question is extremely EasyEngine-specific. You can see if someone here has enough familiarity with it to help you, but you might get better answers over on the EasyEngine community forum at

(Sadly, their forum itself doesn’t use HTTPS yet… but they’re welcome to use Let’s Encrypt to fix that. :slight_smile:)

Every certificate issued by Let’s Encrypt is issued for a particular list of domain names, so subdomains are never automatically included unless they were explicitly requested at the time that the certificate was issued. So in a way, it’s not a surprise that it doesn’t work for all subdomains, because none of our certificates do. However, I don’t know how to use EasyEngine’s Let’s Encrypt support to request certificates for particular lists of subdomains.

So, how can I enable ssl manually for my second level domain?

I have never used Easy Engine, so I personally have no idea, unfortunately.

You may help me without the reference to easyengine…

The way of specifying the domains to be covered by a certificate is potentially different for every tool that obtains certificates from Let’s Encrypt. For example, I would usually say that users should add an additional -d option to the Certbot command for each domain that they’d like to have covered by the certificate. However, this is probably not helpful to you because you’re not running Certbot at all.

You might want to look at

This doesn’t seem to provide any way of covering multiple domain names in a single certificate, which might also represent a problem for our rate limits (because of the “certificates per registered domain” rate limit). But it does seem to offer a command to get a certificate for any given individual domain.

The rate limit issue is also potentially a good reason to check in with the EasyEngine community.

I will be doing it all from the start. So, you may help me with the steps.
Thanks…

If you are still planning to to use EasyEngine, I don’t intend to study how to use it, so you can feel free to see if someone else on this forum is able to help you, or try asking on the EasyEngine forum. Using EasyEngine may be a very appropriate technology choice, but it’s not one of the most mainstream choices for participants in this particular forum.

If you’d like to use Certbot, please see

and let me know if you have any trouble with the instructions there or encounter any error messages when following those instructions.

I don’t know how Certbot will interact with EasyEngine; trying to use both may potentially cause problems.

I’m leaving easyengine and want a guided step. Let me check that link and
see whether I have already been through it.

Thanks

So, once I follow this, all the domains added on the hosting will be https?
…because, I don’t see an option to add the site…

Certbot is a command-line tool which acts on particular domains that you specify. If you add new subdomains in the future, you’ll need to re-run Certbot to add those. Certbot won’t automatically detect or act on any new domains unless you specifically tell it to get a new certificate with different domain coverage.

Certbot has an option to install and configure the certificate for you in your web server (if it’s Apache or Nginx) and also to add a redirect from HTTP to HTTPS.

I could not find that command in the document to add the domain n sub
domains… i’m not an expert… please help

Which options did you select on that page to describe your software environment? Did you run any Certbot commands as a result, or not yet?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.