Need a step-by-step guide to get new SSL cert - I'm new

My domain is: www.kartschempp.com

I ran this command: n/a

It produced this output: n/a

My web server is (include version): whatever namecheap uses. I use no special software to maintain my website - I edit the code directly. Just basic simple stuff.

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): whatever namecheap uses.

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: namecheap

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): probably, but not sure.

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
cPanel 78.0.20

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot): I don’t see Certbot there. Under Security group, there are 2 related apps: SSL/TLS Status & SSL/TLS. I also see SSH access, but I’m not sure what this is.

My SSL cert will expire on May 28th.

Please help. I hope there is a simple step-by-step guide for me to update my existing COMODO cert.

Thanks, Karl Schempp.

Hi @kschempp

if you have a COMODO certificate, please ask Comodo how to update your certificate.

But your domain doesn't exist ( https://check-your-website.server-daten.de/?q=kartschempp.com ):

Host T IP-Address is auth. ∑ Queries ∑ Timeout
kartschempp.com Name Error yes 1 0
www.kartschempp.com Name Error yes 1 0

Typo?

karlschempp.com - you know - like karl-heinz

Sorry - my original typo.

Does Comodo offer free certs? That’s why I was considering you guys.

I might have one extra free year from them - I’m currently just checking with the chat support representative. But when it ends, I’d like to go with you guys.

Hi Juergen. I just copied here some chat stuff from NameCheap:

Karl K Schempp: Where is the CertBot app then? I couldn’t find it on my cPanel

Anton Tsygankov: The CertBot app is currently not supported on our Shared hosting servers as it will require the SSH access to the server.
Karl K Schempp: When my existing cert from Comodo expires on 27th May, can I install 4157474, and have SSL security after the install?

Anton Tsygankov: Unfortunately, it will not be possible to install the promotional certificate 4157474 for www.karlschempp.com, as another certificate was already activated for this domain.

Karl K Schempp: why would I do that when there are free SSL certificates from other providers?

Anton Tsygankov: The free certificates are usually issued with the shorter validity period. Though, you can use the free certificates as well if you prefer. For that, you will need to acquire the certificate code, CA Bundle code and the private key from the free certificate provider and them proceed with the installation via SSL/TLS menu in the cPanel: https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/9418//installing-a-ssl-certificate-on-your-server-using-cpanel

Juergen, Looks like i will have to start working with you. I hope I still can proceed with you as per the last link provided by Anton.

Please let me know. Thanks… Karl.

Start with the basics:

But it looks, that you don’t have shell access, so you can’t use an own client.

And it looks that your cPanel doesn’t support Letsencrypt. So you must use one of these online clients like https://www.sslforfree.com/ to create a certificate, then upload it.

And you have to do that every 60 - 85 days, so it’s terrible.

Is namecheap doing this on purpose so that they can make money with their comodo relationship? I can look into trying to get shell access. I’ll research it a bit and see if Shell access is something I can set up.

What do you think? You may want to investigate using a different web host--there are lots who support Let's Encrypt directly, so you don't have to jump through the hoops Namecheap is making you use.

I just set up the 90 day process using SSLforfree.com. It worked ok without issue, and my renewal will likely take about 5 minutes of my time, now that I know how to do it. Maybe one day NameCheap will work directly with you. Thanks for your help.

I just set up the 90 day process using SSLforfree.com. It worked ok without issue, and my renewal will likely take about 5 minutes of my time, now that I know how to do it. Maybe one day NameCheap will work directly with you. Thanks for your help.

1 Like

I might have one extra free year from them - I’m currently just checking with the chat support representative. But when it ends, I’d like to go with you guys.

You can already issue Let's Encrypt certificates and start using them, there's no need to wait for Comodo's one to expire. This would allow you to test if LE's certificate works, and if it does, you can contact Comodo to revoke your Comodo certificate. You don't even have to revoke Comodo's certificate, but it's a good thing to do.

There is no need to revoke a certificate if the private key is ok.

Hi Jürgen.

I’m already set up now. I deleted the Comodo cert, and installed yours. It was a learning process for me, but I believe, I can now update your cert in about
5 minutes every time I am reminded to do so. I copied someone’s guide on how to do this, and inserted some of my own notes. I will refer to this document when I have to update the cert in the future.

You are welcome to use the attached document – cleaned up, of course, with my stuff scrubbed out of it, so that you can make it available to others who visit
your site just as I did – lost and trying to figure out all of this stuff.

Copy and paste is not that difficult, so maybe there are plenty of less computer literate folks that could use a guide like the one that I attached. I even
configured my account at SSLforfree.com to remind me to renew my cert.

Thanks for all that you do. The world is a “better place” with your website and SSLforfree.com.

just now thinking about it, your site should
actually just perform the same function as what SSLforfree does, so that only one website is required or contacted to complete the renewal process [if it can work].

Have a great day. And thanks.

www.karlschempp.com

(Attachment Renewing my SSL certificates.docx is missing)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.