My ubuntu server were deleted and now i want to get certs for same domain on a new sever

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: ephorycommunication.com ephorycommunication.fr ephory.fr

I ran this command: sudo certbot certonly --nginx -d ephorycommunication.com -d ephorycommunication.fr -d ephory.fr

It produced this output:
Type: connection
Detail: xx.xxx.xx.xxx: Fetching http://www.ephorycommunication.fr/.well-known/acme-challenge/G2Po9jW65n2M994jbxiv3bL8e7P95O04F5VAmETj8tE: Timeout during connect (likely firewall problem)

Hint: The Certificate Authority failed to verify the temporary nginx configuration changes made by Certbot. Ensure the listed domains point to this nginx server and that it is accessible from the internet.

My web server is (include version): ubuntu 22.04.4

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): --classic certbot version i do not know, the latest i'd just install it

My problem is that I had a server with an ip adress of course, on this i had 2 app with certbot certificates but this server were deleted, so i create a new one (with a new IP adress) and i try to make new cert, but as this cert already existed certbot try to connect them with the old IP adress. What can i do to fix this issue. How to delete the old certificate ? as that i can create new one with the good IP address, or is it q way to change the ip adress on the certificate ?
I hope someone has q solution for me.
Thank you.

1 Like

@volubyliss , welcome to the community!

There is no IP address in the certificate. Just forget about the old certificate, as you deleted the old system, its key is likely gone unless you have a backup.

You have to update the DNS to make your domain names pointing to the IP address of the new server. Then simply generate a new certificate the same way as on the old system. Please do not make habit of deleting and creating new systems, as there is a limit of the number of certificates you can generate in a given time frame.

4 Likes

Hiding the public IP of a system is unnecessary and it only delays our help.
If that IP is the IP of the new server, then all is well - continue as instructed.
If that IP is NOT the IP of the new server [the IP of the old server], then you must update the IP in your DNS zone before continuing.

Also...

The firewall(s) along the way must be open to reach the new IP/server on port 80.

4 Likes

Thank you for the welcome,
and really sorry but i just find the issue. You're going to laugh, I forgot to update my dns with the new IP address. Now i did it, and, of course, everything is ok. Thank again.

6 Likes