Multiple domains and adding new ones

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better.

My domain is:
Several

I ran this command:
N/A

It produced this output:
N/A

My web server is (include version):
Apache2

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
Ubuntu 16.04.2x64 LTS

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
Digital Ocean

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):
Yes as root

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

No, I am all command-line.

Hello there,

I hope I am not repeating something which was asked before. I have read the topics in this group and can’t find an exact topic which matches what I am asking.

Also, please accept my apologies if this is an obvious one, but I can’t find an exact match either in the FAQ.

I use a number of domains, one of which is bsg-staging.com. In theory, I would have
customer1.bsg-staging.com
customer2.bsg-staging.com
customer3.bsg-staging.com

I know that I can get a single cert which covers all of the above domains.
Suppose in 3 months’ time, I need to add customer4.bsg-staging.com (for example) ?
Do I need to get a new cert , or is there some way of adding customer4. to my existing cert ? Either way, would my existing cert be invalidated ?
As I am using Apache2, I don’t need to restart my web service to incorporate a new cert. But, will the renew switch to certbot work with a multi-cert like this ?

What I have in mind is setting up something along the lines of https://chrismarslender.com/2016/04/01/centralized-lets-encrypt-management/ , but with Apache2 rather than nginx.

Wildcard certs would be great, but I gather you won’t be providing those until January of 2018 ?

Thank you for any help/pointers and my apologies again if this has already been asked.

Kind Regards,
Raymond

Hi Raymond

Certbot has an -expand flag which will allow you to add more subdomains

Note: certificates once issued are immutable. This means you cannot extend the validity or add subdomains or change the certificate in any way once it is issued.

When you expand or “renew” a certificate you are actually obtaining a new certificate

More reading and proof: Reverse Engineering Certbot Expand Option to Use with Another Client

Andrei

2 Likes

Thanks very much, Andrei. Very fast and comprehensive response.

Regards,
Raymond

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.