MDM Server - Certbot - Problem binding to Port 80

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

mdm.veejaycement.com

I ran this command:

sudo certbot certonly --standalone -d mdm.veejaycement.com

It produced this output:

Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Plugins selected: Authenticator standalone, Installer None
Obtaining a new certificate
Performing the following challenges:
http-01 challenge for mdm.veejaycement.com
Cleaning up challenges
Problem binding to port 80: Could not bind to IPv4 or IPv6.

My web server is (include version): Mac Server

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

macOS High Sierra v10.13.3

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no

I am trying to setup an MDM server using macOS Profile manager. This requires an SSL cert. The server is apart of a Windows domain environment and a third party manages the domain, DNS and firewall. The third party has advised that they have set up everything on their end but I am still getting an error with the certificate. I am just knowledgable enough to follow a guide to setting it up but once it became clear that there was a possible DNS or Domain issue it went over my head. My 3rd party provider is not the easiest to deal with but I am stuck with them at the moment.

All that being said, I need advise on what to request from them to change or setup so that I can get this MDM server running.

Do you have something (like a web server) already listening on port 80? Standalone mode will set up its own web server, but it can’t if you already have another process listening on port 80. If you do have a web server running, are you able to serve files out of .well-known/acme-challenge from the filesystem? If so, you can use the webroot plugin instead and have Certbot just place the files where they need to be. In order to do so, you’d need to provide the web root directory, which is wherever you’d place files to server them from domain.com/. Certbot will create the .well-known and acme-challenge directories for you under this location.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.