Mail server different IP than web server

Hello,
I need to secure the mail, hosted on a different server. The DNS zone are correctly set and all the records related to the mail point to the mail server.
I tried to install a certificate (in plesk) by flagging only the mail but it does not work.
There is something I do not know? Can the mail server get the certificate from LetsEncrypt?
Best regards

Are you requesting the cert from that other server?

3 Likes

as you set mx recode with some domain name, MTA will need to provide certificate for that domain name.
making sent emails not trashed by other side is just different can of worm (spf, dkim, dmark, ip reputationm etc...) you will better get a smtp relay.
and actually signing/encrypting is yet another thing, (s/mime) while its uses certificate LE sodent sign for you

3 Likes

Hello,
yes, in the first server the mail and webmail are not secured, in the second server I cannot secure the mail and the webmail.
DNS and zones are OK

What is the IP and FQDN of the server that needs a certificate?

3 Likes

the website zweikapitaene.de is secured on 167.86.103.136 and is ok.

The mail should be secured on 217.160.144.252

MX Records

Your MX records that were reported by your nameservers are:

10 mail.zweikapitaene.de 217.160.144.252

1 Like

You keep adding information that isn't requested and irrelevant.

Does 217.160.144.252 run Plesk?

What exactly do you mean by:

Is that webmail?
OR
SMTP?
OR
Both?
OR
Other services too?

3 Likes

217.160.144.252 runs Plesk and at least the SMTP should be secured

Why is Plesk failing to obtain a cert?

2 Likes

I repeated just now the procedure in order to post the error message and Plesk was able to secure mail and webmail

Glad to hear that :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:man_shrugging:
It is not a complicated procedure... flag two boxes and click enter...

1 Like

And yet it failed once before - LOL

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.