LE through MS ISA firewall on port 8080

Hi!
I’m trying to get a LE certificate for a machine on a LAN running Ubuntu. The machine only has a private IP address and the Microsoft ISA server redirects all traffic to its IP:8080 to that box. The network has other machines set up with existing SSL certificates including mail and domain controllers. The setup is similar where those boxes are configure on non-80 port and when traffic hits the firewall it gets redirected to the specific box.

Now I’ve tried to set up LE on port 8080 by using commands I found only rather than the simple line letsencrypt --apache -d sub.domain.com and either way I always get this error message:
Failed authorization procedure. sub.domain.com (tls-sni-01): urn:acme:error:unauthorized :: The client lacks sufficient authorization :: Incorrect validation certificate for tls-sni-01 challenge. Requested 04b2a6514ea07cdb36d6fac73645bb04.70e21dacb2f3610150d93cdf2f14ad76.acme.invalid from IP:443. Received 2 certificate(s), first certificate had names “autodiscover.domain.com, dpcedgesvr.domain.com, dpcmailsvr.domain.com, mail.domain.com

IMPORTANT NOTES:

• The following errors were reported by the server:

Domain: sub.domain.com
    Type: unauthorized
    Detail: Incorrect validation certificate for tls-sni-01 challenge.
    Requested 04b2a6514ea07cdb36d6fac73645bb04.70e21dacb2f3610150d93cdf
    2f14ad76.acme.invalid from IP:443. Received 2
    certificate(s), first certificate had names
    "autodiscover.domain.com, dpcedgesvr.domain.com,
    dpcmailsvr.domain.com, mail.domain.com"

To fix these errors, please make sure that your domain name was
    entered correctly and the DNS A record(s) for that domain
    contain(s) the right IP address.

Any idea what I should do next?
Thank you.

By default, the --apache option uses tls-sni-01 to verify you own your domain. Basically, certbot configures apache to serve a special certificate and then asks Let’s Encrypt if it can see it.

When you proxy the connection to your server at the HTTP(S) level, there’s no way Let’s Encrypt can see this special certificate, so you cannot verify your domain in this way.

Also, this means the certificate Let’s Encrypt would install will not be seen on the public Internet. The certificates as used publicly are served by your firewall, so you must install certificates there if you want them to be used for that purpose. (There are several Let’s Encrypt clients for Windows.)

Or do you just intend to use your Let’s Encrypt certificate to secure the connection between your firewall and your origin Ubuntu server? (Or maybe you wanted to copy it to the firewall after issuing it?)

1 Like

Ohhh… right! Thank you for those explanation. I’ll try to install the certificate on the Windows machine then and see how it goes.

Thanks again!

1 Like

If you do happen to have an API that allows you to update DNS records in your DNS zone, there is also a way to prove your control over the domain name that way, which is often a good way to get certificates for machines that are behind firewalls and that have a restricted ability to receive incoming connections.

Hi!

Still struggling with this. As a side note I am not the one handling the MS ISA Firewall so my testing abilities are limited. I am being told that adding a SSL certificate to the ISA Firewall is password protected. Not sure how to configure that on the clients. Is there any documentation on setting up LE with this MS ISA Firewall product?

Thank you.

Ok seems that’s a tricky one. So now I’m having another related issue of using a firewall and having the certificate on the firewall: how do I configure the apache2 website configuration file with the certificate not being on that server and in a different format (crt vs pfx)?
Thank you.

For the first part, you could try using DNS verification. If you are using a DNS provider that has an API, you can even automate the process. Alternately, you could use something like Certify or letsencrypt-win-simple directly on the server.

As for the certificate format change, that’s pretty straightforward. The format certbot and most *nix tools use is called PEM. Windows uses PKCS12 (pfx). You can use the openssl tool to convert the formats with a command like:

openssl pkcs12 -export -out certificate.pfx -inkey privkey.pem -in cert.pem -certfile chain.pem

OK. First, thank you for the prompt reply. Second I have a few questions:

1. DNS synchronisation is super slow from the current provider, so when trying this method manually it times out before the DNS has propagated. I suppose (maybe wrongly?) that the same will happen if there is an API access. It uses Cpanel and Cpanel does seem to have an API
  2. You actually mean I still need to have the PEM certificate on the Linux box? So in short I manage to generate the PKCS12 certificates on Windows (not sure how to automatically enter them into ISA DB yet but hey…1 step at a time), copy them on Linux and convert them? Meaning I always need the certificates on each box at all time?
  3. Well I still need to figure out how to enter the PKCS12 certificates into the MS ISA interface.

Thank you for your help.

Some responses:

1. You’re managing DNS via cPanel? That shouldn’t be slow normally. LE ignores DNS cache (or keeps it really low), so as long as the records are served right after they’re added, it should be okay. If you’re talking about a provider that can take up to several hours to serve new records, then that may be an issue. I know very few providers that do that, though (AT&T BusinessDirect being one).
  2. It depends on where you get the certificate. If you’re using Certbot or another tool on a Linux (or UNIX-like) system, then you’ll need to convert the PEM files to a single PKCS12 file to import.
  3. If it’s anything like how IIS sees certificates, you’ll import that PKCS12 file into the computer’s personal certificate store. Basically, via msc you can add the certificate add-in and choose “computer” to load the right store.

same follow up answers:

1. It’s the local ISP doing that and they’re definitely not very tech savvy. I’ll give it another try just in case but it didn’t work 2 weeks ago, I have doubt it will work today (or tomorrow)…
  2. We will get the certificate from the Windows machine as the Linux machine is being the firewall. So I just need to copy them to the Linux server and convert. Actually that is easy to do. I just didn’t think we need 2 copies but it does make sense as Apache then gets issue if it doesn’t find the certificate…
  3. Well I’m not familiar with the product and just got a book to look into it more deeply…Hopefully we’ll find a way.

Thanks a lot.

I guess we were confused as to whether you were running a Let’s Encrypt client on the Windows server now or not. They can actually run openssl there if they need to but shouldn’t have to because most Let’s Encrypt clients take care of the pfx conversion for you.

Usually there is no pfx password, and you just hit Enter or Continue and go on, and this works with IIS, but some other programs require that you type something in the field to go on. For that reason most Windows Let’s Encrypt clients have a option to set the password to whatever you want. (e.g. the PfxPassword option in letsencrypt-win-simple’s config file)

Remember, Apache only ever communicates with the ISA firewall. If the communication between Apache and the ISA firewall occurs over a private network, and you’re not worried about three letter agencies tapping it like they did Google’s, you could continue to use HTTP for that.

If you do want to secure the connection between the ISA firewall and your Apache origin server, you could indeed use the same certificate if you wanted, but passing around private keys isn’t ideal. You could also run certbot independently on your Linux server, but this may not work anymore if your ISP rerouted the required path to their servers so they could get you a certificate.

Ideally, they would use Active Directory Certificate Services to issue you a long-lived certificate trusted by the ISA firewall, so you don’t have to mess with that side very often.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.