Is there a way to use certificate created before for my website?

Hi,
I created certificate 5 times in one week. When i try to create another one i get error. I know i can not create certificate more than 5 in one week but is there a way to use created certificate for my website ? because i could not use certificates that i created before because first time i use ssl in my website and i did not notice to limit. If is there a way please help me.
Thank you

My domain is: vultuskjkszpj.online

I ran this command: docker-compose -f docker-compose.deploy.yml run --rm certbot /opt/certify-init.sh

It produced this output:
An unexpected error occurred:
Error creating new order :: too many certificates (5) already issued for this exact set of domains in the last 168 hours: vultuskjkszpj.online, retry after 2022-12-15T19:43:47Z: see Duplicate Certificate Limit - Let's Encrypt
Ask for help or search for solutions at https://community.letsencrypt.org. See the logfile /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log or re-run Certbot with -v for more details.
ERROR: 1

My web server is : nginx:1.23.0-alpine
I used Docker and Nginx with Python project python:3.11.0-slim
The operating system my web server runs on is : nginx:1.23.0-alpine

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine

I'm using a control panel to manage my site

The version of my client is certbot/certbot:v1.27.0

2 Likes

Yes, we can help you but we need more info. please answer the questions as best you can

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

8 Likes

Hi @msozkan, and welcome to the LE community forum :slight_smile:

You need to do your testing against the staging environment.

8 Likes

Of course there is, if you still have it and its corresponding private key. The cert is easy to get (you can get a copy from crt.sh if you've lost yours), but the private key is, well, private, and if you've destroyed it, the cert that goes with it won't do you any good.

10 Likes

Hi danb35,
Thanks for answer. I can see my certificate list from crt.sh. but i dont know how to use it. Can you give me more specific detail ?
Thank you

2 Likes

Do you have any of the private keys?
If not, those public certs are useless.
Otherwise, anyone could use your cert.

9 Likes

How can I find out if I have private keys?

1 Like

Try:
ls -lr /etc/letsencrypt/archive/*

8 Likes

ls -lr /etc/letsencrypt/archive/* I run this code without archive because no such a file or directory.
When i run the code i get these result
If i have private key how can i use with public certs from crt.sh

1 Like

I don't see anywhere for the private key to be.

Do you have a backup or a snapshot that contains that folder?

In a few more hours you will be able to get a new cert.

Before you do that, you should work on your system to make sure it can save the cert.
That the cert can survive a system reboot.
You should also do all your testing on the staging environment - not the live production system.

7 Likes

I think I deleted it without realizing it :roll_eyes:.
I just asking to learn so next time i can use. If i have private key how can i use the key

1 Like

As you would use any cert.
Where you need a private key and a public cert.
The public cert can be made public.
The private key must never be shared.

In nginx [and using certbot] it is usually something like:

ssl_certificate     /etc/letsencrypt/live/<your.domain>/fullchain.pem; 
ssl_certificate_key /etc/letsencrypt/live/<your.domain>/privkey.pem; 
8 Likes

Thank you so much for everything. Thanks also for the quick and nice explanations.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.