Is there a certbot renew option for printing only errors and renewals?

Debians default is to run certbot renew -q, which should only output errors. I would like to receive a mail (i.e. cron mails when there is any output), for errors AND for successful renewals.

At the moment i just removed the -q option, but so i get a e-mail for “nothing happened” as well.

1 Like

Hello @allo,

Sorry for the delay but I missed this post ;).

As far as I know there is no option to show the errors and ONLY the output on renewals, but it should be a good option to add in future releases.

I've the same issue and a workaround that I'm using is to use the --renew-hook option, inside this option use echo to print the message you need for every successful renewal and redirect the output of this echo command to stderr.

Something like this:

certbot-auto renew --quiet --renew-hook 'echo "\nI have renewed the cert located on ${RENEWED_LINEAGE} and this cert contains the following domains ${RENEWED_DOMAINS}\n\n" >&2' --post-hook 'service apache2 reload'

1.- You should change certbot-auto by certbot or whatever is the name of certbot client on your machine.
2.- Variable ${RENEWED_LINEAGE} will point to the config live subdirectory containing the new certs and keys.
3.- Variable ${RENEWED_DOMAINS} will contain a space-delimited list of renewed cert domains.
4.- The trick is redirect stdout to stderr with >&2 on echo command so you will be notified in successful renewals.
5.- You can use --post-hook to reload your services, in this example I'm reloading apache so change it to fit your needs.

The mail that you will receive will have this look:

Error output from None:

I have renewed the cert located on /etc/letsencrypt/live/yourdomain.tld and this cert contains the following domains yourdomain.tld example1.yourdomain.tld example2.yourdomain.tld otherdomain.tld

It is not a pretty output but enough to be informed about the renewed domain and not be spammed by your own cron service every time the certbot renew command is issued ;).

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
sahsanu

1 Like

That’s a working solution. I think it would be a nice feature to integrate more such options per default (or plugin?), but it will work. And i will need some renew/post-hooks anyway, for reloading different services using the same certificate.

another issue with the letsencrypt renew line with -q removed: There seems to be some kind of race condition

-------------------------------------------------------------
Processing /etc/lCert not yet due for renewal
Cert not yet due for renewal
etsencrypt/renewal/domain.tld.conf
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.