Is it possible for certs to last only 24 hours?

Hello,

I see that Lets Encrypt renews its certs at 90 days. The company I am working for mandates that certs are renewed at 24 hours -- no exceptions. Can Lets Encrypt do this?

Thanks!

edit: For clarification, certs can only be valid for 24 hours. New day, new cert.

Hello @menorton, welcome to the Let's Encrypt community. :slightly_smiling_face:

Moved to Help topic category.

Yes here is a a way Build a Tiny Certificate Authority For Your Homelab

I also suggest seeing https://smallstep.com/ offerings.

Presently no, and I doubt there would many addition options with Let's Encrypt for the future.

1 Like

Are you meaning that the validity of the certificates is only 24 hours, or that just you renew them (that is, creating a new certificate) 24 hours after creating them?

I'd be very surprised at a company that would want either of those and yet would want them to be issued by a publicly trusted CA. I think that you may not be conveying exactly what your requirements are (and perhaps the requirements aren't being accurately conveyed to you by your company).

3 Likes

That's odd. Why's that?

You can find a comparison of free ACME CAs here:

Including whether or not it has rate limits.

4 Likes

What is/are the intended usage(s) of the Domain Validation (DV) certificates?

1 Like

Hi peeps! I just edited the original post. It's not so much that certs can be renewed at 24 hours, they are only valid for 24 hours. New day, new cert. That's not a misunderstanding, the company/client have been very clear about this.

And it must be a public CA? Because those are hard to find.. I only know Google issues certs with a validity of 1 day, as seen in the comparison above.

4 Likes

Any more to share?

1 Like

Must it only be public? Thats a good question, not sure if its public, private, or root.

Anyways, what led me to Lets Encrypt (one of many rabbit holes) is that we are running a kubernetes cluster (service mesh) and when a new daily cert is issued, we have no choice but to restart the pod. Restarting the pod leads to downtime. I read several blogs thats said Lets Encrypt can refresh the pods with no restarts

Let's Encrypt is a Certificate Authority. It has no controle over your "pod" (whatever that may be). Your "pod" should be able to renew a cert independent of the CA.

That said, Let's Encrypt has rate limits limiting your issuance of certs to 5 duplicates per week, so that's 2 short of 1 daily.

5 Likes

That is not possible with LetsEncrypt. Even if you were to revoke a Certificate, it could take up to 10 days for browsers/clients that utilize CRL lists to recognize it.

As others mentioned, a private CA is the easiest option - but you will have to deploy the private root certificates.

If you need to use a publicly trusted root certificate, you will likely need to use a commercial CA for the certificates - however I do not know of any that support this use case specifically. You may likely need to contract with a commercial CA to set up a subordinate CA under your control.

3 Likes

Gotcha. Sorry for not providing enough information -- I'm new to certs. Have a good one!

1 Like

The requirement to restart with downtime indicates you are utilizing an anti-pattern.

Whatever service(s) that are used to terminate SSL/TLS should have a "graceful" restart option that reloads processes with zero downtime.

3 Likes

Although Google give the option to issue 24 hour certificates in their public CA, they recommend not doing so:

By default all certificates issued by Google Trust Services are good for up to 90 days; however, ACME allows for clients to request certificates with different validity periods. Using this capability we allow the requestor to get certificates that are good for as little as 1 day, though we would not recommend using anything less than 3 days due to concerns over clock skew and certificate validity overlap.

Anyway, something seems very off about the requirement coming from the client. Kubernetes + cert-manager or whatever does not involve any restarts for certificate renewals or re-issuances, the ingress just seamlessly gets a new certificate.

None of this is about the certificate authority. The CA isn't renewing your certs - you are (your ACME client is). The schedule of renewals and how you apply the new certificate to your services is entirely up to you.

5 Likes

If you mean "it's entirely up to you to run into rate limits" then yes, I agree :rofl:

4 Likes

If you can live with getting 90 day certs and just throwing them away after 24 hours...
And you can change the name on the cert [daily]...
You might be able to use LE [or any other FREE public CA].
Otherwise... I don't think there is a right fit for such a need out there [at least not a cheap one].

2 Likes

That's why I had suggested what I had here Is it possible for certs to last only 24 hours? - #2 by Bruce5051

That's one very right answer [if they can do without a publicly trusted cert].
If not... then we have this... very unique requirement to fill.

3 Likes

Very true, and I would like to understand the usage case.

1 Like

I would love to hear it too!

Why would anyone need to throwaway a perfectly good cert?
hmm...
They don't trust it any longer.
But if they don't trust it now, they shouldn't have been trusting it at all!
Very strange indeed.

2 Likes