Im generated 5 сerts in my subdomains *.7230119.ru and one of name have error

letsencrypt)[root@v42851 letsencrypt]# ./certbot-auto certonly -t -d riskograph.7230119.ru -m v.branitsky@nitralabs.com
Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log

How would you like to authenticate with the ACME CA?

1: Apache Web Server plugin - Beta (apache)
2: Place files in webroot directory (webroot)
3: Spin up a temporary webserver (standalone)

Select the appropriate number [1-3] then [enter] (press ‘c’ to cancel): 2
Starting new HTTPS connection (1): acme-v01.api.letsencrypt.org
Obtaining a new certificate
Performing the following challenges:
http-01 challenge for riskograph.7230119.ru

Select the webroot for riskograph.7230119.ru:

1: Enter a new webroot

Press 1 [enter] to confirm the selection (press ‘c’ to cancel): 1
Input the webroot for riskograph.7230119.ru: (Enter ‘c’ to cancel):/var/www/riskograph.7230119.ru
Waiting for verification…
Cleaning up challenges

IMPORTANT NOTES:

• The following errors were reported by the server:
    Error in atexit._run_exitfuncs:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/atexit.py”, line 24, in _run_exitfuncs
    func(*targs, **kargs)
    File “/root/.local/share/letsencrypt/lib/python2.7/site-packages/certbot/reporter.py”, line 74, in atexit_print_messages
    self.print_messages()
    File “/root/.local/share/letsencrypt/lib/python2.7/site-packages/certbot/reporter.py”, line 117, in print_messages
    next_wrapper.fill(line) for line in lines[1:]))
    UnicodeEncodeError: ‘ascii’ codec can’t encode character u’\ufeff’ in position 199: ordinal not in range(128)
    Error in sys.exitfunc:
    An unexpected error occurred:
    UnicodeEncodeError: ‘ascii’ codec can’t encode character u’\ufeff’ in position 199: ordinal not in range(128)
    Please see the logfiles in /var/log/letsencrypt for more details.

Hi @alexandr,

I think this is a bug in Certbot because it shouldn’t crash this way.

The message you see is symptomatic of having a non-ASCII character in something that Certbot needs to process or display, which could be a directory name or part of the domain name. In this case u’\ufeff’ is the Unicode byte order mark, which is often used at the beginning of UTF-16-encoded files, especially text files created on Windows systems.

Did you perhaps use a Windows machine to create or modify one of the directory names related to your web server or Let’s Encrypt certificates, or one of the associated configuration files? Did you copy and paste any of the data that you input to certbot-auto (like a domain name or e-mail address) from a text file on a Windows machine?

Could you take a look in the file /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log and see if there are any more details about what Certbot was doing at the time that it crashed?

im using centos 5.6 to generate my certificates and Python 2.6.8, but today Im got generate certs for my domain,
riskograph.7230119.ru and worked all fine), this error dont crash again

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.