IDN domain problem

I have have had enough and I am not going to take it anymore! Look I have used letsencypt 26 times exactly according to my logbook since the great awarness that if you don't encrpyt then you can't even hope to tell you have been pwned. Every single time I used it, it eventually worked but it was always a new way to have to fiddle in the middle, ANYway this is the current fail. Situation involves use of a IDN specifically a カ*sカ.tokyo domain. The fail is a something something punycode and go beg for help so I have now done that. I am fixable.

The error is quite clear I'd say?:

Non-ASCII domain names not supported. To issue for an Internationalized Domain Name, use Punycode.

Punycode was not used in this log:

2024-04-24 10:11:12,490:DEBUG:certbot._internal.main:Arguments: ['-v', '-d', 'サイバー.tokyo']

Have you tried xn--eck7a4e3h.tokyo as the hostname? (I used Punycode Converter - IDN Converter - Punycode to Unicode for the conversion.)

Also, while probably (hopefully) your thread title was meant to be comically, I've edited it to something which makes more sense to the readers..

3 Likes

Not to sidetrack, but certificates on a website do absolutely nothing to prevent a site from being compromised. Vulnerabilities exist in application code whether there is a cert encrypting the traffic to it or not.

Similarly, most malicious sites use valid certificates. But the certificate has no impact regarding whether the site can compromise clients connecting to them.

5 Likes

Just for background...

Internationalized Domain Names use a form of Punycode in which the prefix xn-- is prepended to the punycode encoded domain name.

Browsers and many code libraries will use the punycode ascii-encoding under the hood, while they display the internationalized unicode on most visible interfaces.

@oneman you should familiarize yourself with punycode conversion for troubleshooting and maintenance. You don't need to learn the algorithms, you just need to get comfortable with the online converters that encode and decode.

3 Likes

"You have been pwned" could be used more broadly in this case, to include network attacks that HTTPS does protect against. I find it kind of ambiguous between the two!

We are all pwned as a matter of fact EFI recall intel correctly. None the less, lets settle this one, I am lazy and ignorant and I have been told to begin my education at a word I can type into google or pedia. I will deal with this personal matter off the air. When I get a proper clue, I will provide a report on my learnings. Thank you for your kind gentle machine gun hands.

1 Like