Httpd not running after installation

Hello,

I have a problem with the installation of Let’s Encrypt on my server. I have Apache and CentOS6.

I followed the guide at https://certbot.eff.org/#centosrhel6-apache and couldn’t continue since my apache server stopped working. When I run

./certbot-auto --apache

I get the following error:

Error while running apachectl graceful.
httpd not running, trying to start
IMPORTANT NOTES:
 - We were unable to install your certificate, however, we
   successfully restored your server to its prior configuration.

I have controlled the apache log errors and I found the following:

[warn] RSA server certificate is a CA certificate (BasicConstraints: CA == TRUE !?)
[warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) `dummy' does NOT match server name!?

It seems then that there’s a mistake in the hostname for the certificate. I don’t know what that dummy is and don’t know either how to change it to my hostname. I noticed though that I have files on my /etc/letsencrypt/ folder, I even have the certificates inside the /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.mydomain.com/ folder.

I cannot start apache as it fails. My website is currently down.

Has anyone encountered this problem before? Some help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

A certificate with the CN “dummy” will not have been installed by Let’s Encrypt, so probably you’ve got some “rogue” Apache configuration file/directive pointing to some self-signed certificate.

This also probably isn’t caused by Let’s Encrypt? Did everything work before?

Hi Osiris, thank you for the reply.
The website was functioning before but we had no certificate. We just did a migration to this server and the old certificate was lost, so we were installing a new one. Maybe this is were the dummy comes from.
The website though was working with a working from the browser.
Do you know what should I do? I must admit am a bit lost.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.