How to prevent creation of '/etc/letsencrypt/live/domain.tld-0001' when removing domains from a `domain.tld` multidomain certificate?

Hello @dusek,

This post won’t be too useful but…

1) Remove a domain to renew existing certificate.

I’ve been testing it with several domains and several options and no matter what I do, I’m always get a new -t0001 domain with new certs. So for this you should be waiting till someone could explain how we could do it (without removing all related data to this existing certificate).

Note: I tested it several times using --duplicate, --expand and --reinstall switches but nothing works, all of them create a new -t000x suffix.

2) Add a domain to renew existing certificate.

I’ve tested it creating a cert for 2 domains and when renewed, I’ve added a new domain and it worked fine using --expand switch, it creates a new cert inside the same dir (without adding -t0001 suffix to domain dir).

Help for expand switch:

--expand              If an existing cert covers some subset of the
                        requested names, always expand and replace it with the
                        additional names. (default: False)

The config file I’ve used in /etc/letsencrypt/test.domain.tld.ini

staging
text
renew-by-default
agree-tos
register-unsafely-without-email
rsa-key-size = 4096
authenticator = webroot
webroot-path = /path/to/domain.tld
domains = t1.domain.tld,t2.domain.tld

The command used to created the first certificate for 2 domains:

./letsencrypt-auto certonly --config /etc/letsencrypt/test.domain.tld.ini

Once created, I modified the ini file /etc/letsencrypt/test.domain.tld.ini to add a new domain (t3.domain.tld):

staging
text
renew-by-default
agree-tos
register-unsafely-without-email
rsa-key-size = 4096
authenticator = webroot
webroot-path = /path/to/domain.tld
domains = t1.domain.tld,t2.domain.tld,t3.domain.tld

And this time I executed the letsencrypt-auto command but adding --expand switch.

./letsencrypt-auto certonly --config /etc/letsencrypt/test.domain.tld.ini --expand

And it created a new cert for 3 domains in the same place, replacing previous cert.

At least you know that adding new domain won’t break your config :wink:

Cheers,
sahsanu