How can I update my certbot in fedora 25

Hi,

Can you please try run “sudo yum update” and see if there’s any update for certbot?

Thank you

@stevenzhu I tried running that command it says upgrading certbot version 0.19.0-1.fc25, but it did not update the current. Running the command certbot --version still shows 0.12.0

please show:
which certbot
find / -name certbot

It’s in the /usr/bin/certbot.

you found just the one?

Yes, just that one. Are there any other files I need?

None…
I would try removing certbot and then reinstall.
If the version remains the same…
Then check on this page:

If I remove the current, are there any issues that might occur on my website which is currently using the certs?
I come up to update the certbot because I’m experiencing error in renewing the ssl of one of the website which is in the cloudflare. I searched and I found this one: IMPORTANT: What you need to know about TLS-SNI validation issues

It should not remove the contents of the /etc/letsencrypt directory.
But to be safe, you can copy it elsewhere.

Will try that. I come up to update the certbot because I’m experiencing error in renewing the ssl of one of the website which is in the cloudflare. I searched and I found this one: IMPORTANT: What you need to know about TLS-SNI validation issues

That link doesn’t not make any mention of CloudFlare (which can sometimes be problematic)

The error says “Client with the currently selected authenticator does not support any combination of challenges that will satisfy the CA.” I’m thinking it is something to do with the configuration in Cloudflare server.

Check your domain at: https://letsdebug.net

You should be able to just run

certbot renew --cert-name example.org --preferred-challenges http
1 Like

Will try that one and see if it go through.

Also, you might be able to use certbot-auto
See: How to get a Let's Encrypt certificate while using CloudFlare

1 Like

That’s … odd. Are you sure your Certbot is up to date?

certbot --version
certbot renew --cert-name example.org -a apache --preferred-challenges http --dry-run

If you can’t get an up to date version, then use certbot-auto as suggested by @rg305 . It’s a drop-in replacement, just call ./certbot-auto instead of certbot, with the same arguments.

Uninstalling your old certbot is perfectly safe. All of your data is in /etc/letsencrypt and will be preserved.

1 Like

Please show the /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/marketing.awaste.com.au.conf? file.
(Or whichever the site name that your are having trouble with.)

1 Like

The reason that you cannot update certbot with yum is that Fedora 25 reached end-of-life in December 2017 and is no longer receiving updates.

You should be able to work around the issue with your old version using a different command or by installing certbot-auto as @_az and @rg305 have explained.

But your server is missing important security updates, such as for the highly publicized Spectre/Meltdown vulnerabilities, so you should strongly consider upgrading your Fedora installation anyway, even if you can get certbot working.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.