How can I make Pre certificate Signed Certificate Timestamps

To create a cryptography.x509.PrecertificateSignedCertificateTimestamps, I need a list of certificate_transparency.SignedCertificateTimestamp, but I don't know how to do that, and what kind of information I need.

I'm making x509 certificate on my own, and all the information in the certificate are not real. I did this first:

PrecertificateSignedCertificateTimestamps = x509.PrecertificateSignedCertificateTimestamps(
        [
        SignedCertificateTimestamp
        ]
    )

and then I find that:

class PrecertificateSignedCertificateTimestamps(ExtensionType):
    oid = ExtensionOID.PRECERT_SIGNED_CERTIFICATE_TIMESTAMPS

def __init__(
        self,
        signed_certificate_timestamps: typing.Iterable[
            SignedCertificateTimestamp
        ],
    )

and then I find

class SignedCertificateTimestamp(metaclass=abc.ABCMeta):
    @abc.abstractproperty
    def version(self) -> Version:
        """
        Returns the SCT version.
        """

@abc.abstractproperty
    def log_id(self) -> bytes:
        """
        Returns an identifier indicating which log this SCT is for.
        """

@abc.abstractproperty
    def timestamp(self) -> datetime.datetime:
        """
        Returns the timestamp for this SCT.
        """

@abc.abstractproperty
    def entry_type(self) -> LogEntryType:
        """
        Returns whether this is an SCT for a certificate or pre-certificate.
        """

I find the relationship of these objects, but I don't know how to make it.

Let’s Encrypt offers Domain Validation (DV) certificates.

3 Likes

There's some information about making requests to Let's Encrypt test CT servers in their documentation, and an explanation of how the SCT gets encoded in a linked blog post:

But really it would just be if you're nosy and curious about the internals. I don't think any browser requires SCTs for private CAs, as the whole point of the CT ecosystem is around publicly-trusted CAs. So in any X509 certificate you're making for test purposes, you can just not include SCTs and it will likely make your life much easier.

6 Likes

Thank you very much, I think I can make the SCT after reading these artical. I'm trying to do some job like parsing certificate and making Threatening certificates,maybe I need to do this annoying thing.I’m grateful for your help.

What is the exact purpose of this? As @petercooperjr noted, browsers generally don't require SCTs for private CAs. SCTs are only even supported in a handful of browsers. So you'll go through all this work (which may require setting up a publicly accessible CT log) to end up with a Certificate that can only potentially be tested in a handful of browsers, but none of them are likely to even care about the SCT information.

Phrasing this another way, properly testing/using this would mean not just creating an SCT but making it publicly accessible. That is a lot of effort and moving parts.

They may be a much simpler approach to your goals if you can share them.

6 Likes

And for that matter, existing public CT logs won't accept certificates from issuers that the log operators don't believe are likely to be publicly trusted.

I think that's the main reason @jvanasco indicated that

6 Likes

Exactly. Testing this "ecosystem" isn't just going to be forging an SCT, but also hosting the CT log the SCT references. This is a lot of work.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.