Failed to renew -- too many requests

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: sso.aca.k12.or.us

I ran this command:
sudo certbot renew -v

It produced this output:
Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log

Processing /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/sso.aca.k12.or.us.conf

Certificate is due for renewal, auto-renewing...

Plugins selected: Authenticator apache, Installer apache

Renewing an existing certificate for sso.aca.k12.or.us

Failed to renew certificate sso.aca.k12.or.us with error: urn:ietf:params:acme:error:rateLimited :: There were too many requests of a given type :: Error creating new order :: too many failed authorizations recently: see Rate Limits - Let's Encrypt

All renewals failed. The following certificates could not be renewed:

/etc/letsencrypt/live/sso.aca.k12.or.us/fullchain.pem (failure)

1 renew failure(s), 0 parse failure(s)

Ask for help or search for solutions at https://community.letsencrypt.org. See the logfile /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log or re-run Certbot with -v for more details.

My web server is (include version):

Apache/2.4.52 (Ubuntu)

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
Ubuntu 21.04 (GNU/Linux 5.11.0-49-generic x86_64)
My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):
Yes
I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
no
The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

certbot 1.27.0

Also Certbot failed to authenticate some domains (authenticator: apache). The Certificate Authority reported these problems:
Domain: sso.aca.k12.or.us
Type: connection
Detail: 198.236.21.91: Fetching http://sso.aca.k12.or.us/.well-known/acme-challenge/CaHms8S9QDl6aINWWD2iDEfkRn4q5f5AzwrY4YMTaEo: Connection reset by peer

It looks like you are affected by a change the Palo Alto company made to their firewalls.

Your symptom is identical to the one below. That is, it responds normally to regular requests but the acme-challenge path is rejected with "reset by peer". Once the firewall is fixed you will have to wait an hour due to your repeated failures

2 Likes

Thank you. acme-challenge was the issue

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.