Failed authorization procedure -- DNS problem

I found my typo just rereading my original help submission :slight_smile: This is solved.

SOLUTION DETAILS:

The type-o was in my apache2 configuration. In case it is useful for anybody in the future who stumbles here, the typo was with ServerAlias directive in my vhost conf file for a namehost like this;

ServerName www.example.com
ServerAlias exapmle.com

The A name was set properly and all DNS checks were fine so the error from certbot was really confusing.

1 Like

Hello @kingbuzzo, welcome to the Let's Encrypt community. :slightly_smiling_face:

Let’s Encrypt offers Domain Validation (DV) certificates.

Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

Thus you need to own and have control over the Domain Name you wish to obtain a certificate for,
from an ICANN Accredited Registrar.

For Let’s Encrypt to issue a Domain Validation (DV) certificate Domain Validation must happen
and it is a CA/Browser Forum Baseline Requirement.

Best Practice - Keep Port 80 Open

What IP addresses does Let’s Encrypt use to validate my web server?
Let’s Encrypt does not publish a list of IP addresses we use to validate,
and these IP addresses may change at any time.

Let's Encrypt uses Multi-Perspective Validation Improves Domain Validation Security - Let's Encrypt

Since these are Domain Validation (DV) certificates the Domain Name System (DNS) is used extensively in the validation process as well a allowing us to assist here on Let's Encrypt community.
DNS Queries need to give consistent results from any location on the Internet, all your authoritative DNS Servers for the Domain need to also give consistent results as well.

Testing and debugging are best done using the Staging Environment as the Rate Limits are much higher. Rate Limits are per week (rolling).

And to assist with debugging there is a great place to start is Let's Debug.

:arrow_down: :arrow_down: :arrow_down: :arrow_down: :arrow_down: :arrow_down: :arrow_down: :arrow_down: :arrow_down: :arrow_down: :arrow_down: :arrow_down: :arrow_down: :arrow_down: :arrow_down: :arrow_down: :arrow_down: :arrow_down: :arrow_down:

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

Thank you for assisting us in helping YOU!

2 Likes

Hi @Bruce5051. I posted all of my details per the template when I first submitted the question. Then upon rereading what I submitted, I spotted the source of my problem. This is resolved for me. I udpated the original post to make this more clear.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.