Error running certbot - Ubuntu 18.04 [solved]

When I run sudo certbot from the command line I get:

$ sudo certbot
Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Plugins selected: Authenticator nginx, Installer nginx
An unexpected error occurred:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/urllib3/connection.py”, line 141, in _new_conn
(self.host, self.port), self.timeout, **extra_kw)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/urllib3/util/connection.py”, line 60, in create_connection
for res in socket.getaddrinfo(host, port, family, socket.SOCK_STREAM):
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/socket.py”, line 745, in getaddrinfo
for res in _socket.getaddrinfo(host, port, family, type, proto, flags):
socket.gaierror: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py”, line 601, in urlopen
chunked=chunked)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py”, line 346, in _make_request
self._validate_conn(conn)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py”, line 852, in _validate_conn
conn.connect()
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/urllib3/connection.py”, line 284, in connect
conn = self._new_conn()
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/urllib3/connection.py”, line 150, in _new_conn
self, “Failed to establish a new connection: %s” % e)
urllib3.exceptions.NewConnectionError: <urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x7f836a768eb8>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution

File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/requests/adapters.py”, line 440, in send
timeout=timeout
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py”, line 639, in urlopen
_stacktrace=sys.exc_info()[2])
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/urllib3/util/retry.py”, line 388, in increment
raise MaxRetryError(_pool, url, error or ResponseError(cause))
urllib3.exceptions.MaxRetryError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host=‘acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org’, port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /directory (Caused by NewConnectionError(’<urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x7f836a768eb8>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution’,))

requests.exceptions.ConnectionError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host=‘acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org’, port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /directory (Caused by NewConnectionError(’<urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x7f836a768eb8>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution’,))
Please see the logfiles in /var/log/letsencrypt for more details.

1 Like

Hi @alento

looks like your "server" can't talk with Letsencrypt.

What's your domain name? You need a public visible and unique domain name to get a certificate.

Yeah … looks like the server is not looking up the LE server correctly. When I do a
nslookup acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org I get a SERVFAIL.

Looks like I need someone to investigate why resolve is not working properly …

I utilized an entry to the /etc/hosts file and was able to renew the certs with no problem.

Change your DNS servers to ones that work.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.