Error 429 - Too Many Certificates but I don't made any

Hey guys, I need your help, I’m a college student and this is my first time with websites, I’m trying to deploy college project with caddy, I used pydanny Django cookiecutter to help me start (and with all these configurations) but now that I’m trying to deploy it I get this message about too many certificates. I entered crt.sh and saw that there are a lot of certificates but I do not know how they were created and how to solve this, can you guys help me out? Above I’m listing a lot of information and there are more on the project’s repository, if you know what to please please help me out

https://crt.sh/?q=drdown.ml

My domain is:
drdown.ml

I ran this command:
docker-compose -f production.yml up --build

It produced this output:
caddy_1 | 2018/06/04 17:45:27 [INFO][drdown.ml] Served key authentication
caddy_1 | 2018/06/04 17:45:28 [INFO][drdown.ml] The server validated our request
caddy_1 | 2018/06/04 17:45:28 [INFO][drdown.ml] acme: Validations succeeded; requesting certificates
caddy_1 | 2018/06/04 17:45:30 [drdown.ml] failed to get certificate: acme: Error 429 - urn:acme:error:rateLimited - Error creating new cert :: too many certificates already issued for exact set of domains: drdown.ml: see https://letsencrypt.org/docs/rate-limits/
20181-dr-down_caddy_1 exited with code 1

My web server is (include version):
Don’t know

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS
Release: 16.04
Codename: xenial

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
Digital Ocean

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):
yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
no

Bom dia @sconetto,

Caddy automatically obtains certificates for you when it's run. But it looks like you're running it inside of Docker, maybe with an image that's regenerated periodically rather than persistent?

Because the certificate issuance is a limited resource, you should use a persistent Docker image if you're running Caddy (or another tool that issues certificates) inside of your Docker image. If you use a non-persistent image, the certificates that were issued may be deleted when the container is regenerated.

In this case the rate limit will restrict you from issuing a new identical certificate for 7 days. You could circumvent this if you add an additional name to the certificate, such as www.drdown.ml, because then the new certificates will not be considered "identical". (If you configure Caddy to serve your site for both drdown.ml and www.drdown.ml, it should then attempt to obtain certificates that apply to both names.)

I don't know what this password is for, but it seems like an inappropriate thing to have it publicly displayed in your GitHub respository.

Boa tarde @schoen,

(Do you speak portuguese?)
I was doing some research and asking to some people about this error and the guys told me just what you did, because I’m new in this deployment world I maybe have regenerated the contianer more than it needed and now I’m with this issue.
So what can I do here? Configure my caddy with another domain like you said? Wait for the 7 days and try to start the container again? What do you sugest @schoen?

This user and pass is a generetad user for the teacher so she can test the project (but the password changes every week so this isn’t a problem, at least not for me, but thanks for the heads up)

@schoen thank you for trying to help and sorry about my english and my “newbieness” (if I can put that way :smiley:)

Falo sim, visitei o Brasil repetidas vezes (entre outras coisas¹) e já ajudei alguns lusófonos em português aqui nesse fórum.

I think both of these solutions are valid, depending on whether you're in a hurry or not.

¹ Talvez um dia escrevo um resumo das minhas experiências inesperadas com a língua portuguesa. Por exemplo no ano passado fui o primeiro participante estrangeiro (mas o segundo falante não-nativo) no concurso anual de palavras cruzadas da editora mineira A Recreativa.

@schoen Que legal cara! sempre mais fácil falar na língua mãe.

I'm a in hurry, just a bit, I will try changing the domain in caddy configuration, If doesn't work I will wait the rate limitation goes off so I can try again.

Thank you so much for helping me out @schoen !!! Muito obrigado mesmo :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.