DNS validation keeps changing

I have a wildcard configured in Let’s Encrypt / Certify the Web Windows App - version 4.1.6
It’s configured to authorize/validate through dns-01 : Update DNS Manually.
Deployment : None
I request the wildcard certificate on my desktop PC (Windows 10) and deploy the certificate to multiple sites/servers.

However of late - every time I go to renew the certificate - it asks me to update the DNS key (_acme-challenge.avalon.red) with a new value.

However - after I update DNS and go back to request the certificate - it just gives me a diffenet value to put into DNS - so it becomes a vicious cycle of updating DNS and being given a new value.
I assume something isn’t quite right here…

My domain is: *.avalon.red

I ran this command:Windows App: Request Certificate

It produced this output: Keeps giving me a different entry to put in to DNS

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Win 2003 + 2012

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): Yes

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot): Windows app : 4.1.6

Hi @Daf,

Welcome to the community forum!

It appears you’re performing a manual process and migrating the private key to some number of servers. Instead, you may wish to have your servers perform the DNS challenge in an automated fashion. Checking your DNS nameservers shows they below to WorldNIC. I was unable to find any acme.sh or certbot plugins for WorldNIC. Perhaps they have an API you can write hooks against? Barring that, you may want to switch nameservers to something more automation friendly.

$ dig NS avalon.red +short
ns49.worldnic.com.
ns50.worldnic.com.

The Domain name provider is https://www.networksolutions.com/
I will investigate to see if they have an API

1 Like

Resolved it finally.
Deleted the domain and re-added it. After doing this - the value to put in DNS would change less often.
On the 3rd or 4th update - the value suggested stayed long enough for the update/TTL to take affect.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.