Development Ubuntu Server need certificate

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):
Ubuntu Server 22.04 running apache 2.4.52
The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
I host on my development machine
I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

I am not sure how this is done. I am not up on some of your terms. I just wanted to know If I can use Let's Encrypt for certificate other than what I am using now which is a self certificate? If I can then what do I need to do.

You already have a valid, publicly trusted Sectigo certificate configured on your website, which is valid for almost a year still.

What are you trying to achieve exactly? I don't see a self signed certificate.

3 Likes

that is true but I have a development machine and that is the one I need a certificate for.

1 Like

What is that machines FQDN?

2 Likes

I dont have it online but can put it online. I am working on getting it online but not there yet. I use the machine for Database Configuration and need https for some of the automatic downloads.

anyway it need a domain name to write on a certificate and for public certificate it need to be public name

4 Likes

@drahcir77 you will not be able to get a Certificate issued from Let’s Encrypt without a domain name.
Let’s Encrypt offers Domain Validation (DV) certificates.

The DNS-01 Challenge can be used to get a wildcard certificate issued.

4 Likes

To work locally with a dev certificate you can either generate one using mkcert or similar, then trust that cert in the trusts store of whatever is making the request, or you can get a real (publicly trusted cert) by completing domain validation for a real domain you control (e.g. dev-01.yourdomain.com).

One of the easiest ways to get a publicly trusted dev certificate is to use the manual dns option of your acme tool (certbot etc, the best method depends on your local dev OS) where you update a TXT record in your domain's DNS as a domain validation challege response. This will result in a cert that's genuinely valid for 90 days.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.