Debian Stretch: how to enable certbot --dns-rfc2136?

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:
ha-architecten.eu

I ran this command:
certbot certonly --dry-run --dns-rfc2136 --dns-rfc2136-credentials bind9_creds.ini --expand --cert-name ha-architecten.eu

It produced this output:
Could not choose appropriate plugin: The requested dns-rfc2136 plugin does not appear to be installed
The requested dns-rfc2136 plugin does not appear to be installed

My web server is (include version):
Apache 2.4

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
Debian Stretch (+backports for certbot)

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
N/A

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):
yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
No

–> I succeeded in fetching the certificate by using the --manual --preferred-challenges dns and then interactively adding the TXT records to my dns server, but to automate the renewal, I either have to script something myself (dehydrated is an example I have come across quite frequently), or I should be able to use this functionality created by the certbot devs. Unfortunately it seems that Debian Backports does not package the dns-rfc2136 plugin currently. Can anyone suggest what is the best way to accomplish automatic renewals based on DNS-01 challenges?

You can try install certbot-dns-rfc2136 via pip until the packaging situation is sorted out.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, there’s a strong chance the plugin situation will be sorted out before you need to renew this certificate. Waiting might be the best strategy.

3 Likes

Thank you both for these fast answers. I’ll wait 2 months and then check back. If the stretch-backports package is not updated yet, I’ll install with pip.
Kr,
Vincent

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.