Change SSL Certificate Common Name

My domain is: https://www.leebarguss.com/
My hosting provider is: Hostgator

I have been provided with the free SSL certificate from Let’s Encrypt through my Hostgator account. The account’s main address is leebarguss.com, although all of the websites in my account have a certificate from http://kacka.team/

Is it possible to have all of the certificates on my websites come from leebarguss.com?

leebarguss.com was the first website I applied the certificate to, but it seems like it picked the first domain from my list of websites instead of the account’s main address.

Thank you in advance!
Lee

Hi,

You’ll need to contact hostagtor for this request and I’m not sure if they could do it…

Thank you

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your reply. I contacted Hostgator and they told me to contact the community here. Classic!

Lee

Emm…

That’s probably a default response lol…

Can you please check if you have a “ssl status” (or something similar ) in your cPanel?

That one or some other plugins is the one provide you the certificate…

(However im not sure if you could modify how they issue the certificate…)

Auto issued certificate will have alphabetical order of domains…

Thank you

Hi @leebarguss

your list of subject alternative names:

DNS-Name: 14degrees.co.uk
DNS-Name: 14degrees.leebarguss.com
DNS-Name: kacka.leebarguss.com
DNS-Name: kacka.team
DNS-Name: leebarguss.com
DNS-Name: mail.14degrees.co.uk
DNS-Name: mail.kacka.team
DNS-Name: mail.leebarguss.com
DNS-Name: mail.nivesbatistic.com
DNS-Name: nivesbatistic.com
DNS-Name: nivesbatistic.leebarguss.com
DNS-Name: villasandramakarska.leebarguss.com
DNS-Name: www.14degrees.co.uk
DNS-Name: www.14degrees.leebarguss.com
DNS-Name: www.kacka.leebarguss.com
DNS-Name: www.kacka.team
DNS-Name: www.leebarguss.com
DNS-Name: www.nivesbatistic.com
DNS-Name: www.nivesbatistic.leebarguss.com
DNS-Name: www.villasandramakarska.leebarguss.com

Looks like your “certificate creation program” uses the shortest name as CommonName (CN).

Is there an option to define the CN - value explicit? If not, you have to use another client. Which is normally not a good idea. Perhaps it may be impossible to add the certificate to your webserver.

Hostgator uses AutoSSL, which does not allow to specify common name on certificate yet…

For Comodo Certificates (From cPanel CA), the common name is issued to account primary domain. (However, since Comodo CA often has a huge delay issuing certificates, Hostgator might just turn that off)

Let’s Encrypt Certificates on AutoSSL will use alphabetical order… so the subdomain will be presented in common name field.

cPanel support doesn’t care about common names for a while (Although i think that’s pretty important…)
There’s also no existing feature request for common names… so, I don’t think that feature will be added in foreseeable future…