Certonly error in docker

My domain is:
one.mghr.org

I ran this command:
certonly --webroot --webroot-path /var/www/certbot/ -d test.mghr.org -m email@gmail.com --agree-tos --non-interactive

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):
Nginx running in docker

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
NA

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):
yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):
certbot latest

Zoom out. Show us the docker-compose.yml or the docker run command.

1 Like

nginx:
image: nginx:latest
container_name: nginx-container
restart: always
ports:
- 80:80
- 443:443
volumes:
- nginx:/etc/nginx/conf.d/
- certbot-e:/etc/letsencrypt/
- certbot-w:/var/www/certbot

once the container is running, I executed the following using bash inside the container.

$ apt update && apt install certbot -y
$ certbot certonly --webroot --webroot-path /var/www/certbot/ -d test.mghr.org -m email@gmail.com --agree-tos --non-interactive

What OS are you hosting docker in? Windows doesn't support symlinks and it's looks like this operation that's failing. It sounds similar to OSError: [Errno 95] Not supported · Issue #4850 · certbot/certbot · GitHub

2 Likes

This is just a mess. There's no good way to make a webserver and an acme client cooperate, in docker.

There are just several hacky ways. Find one you like, or ask for alternatives.

1 Like

I am hosting on Azure Containers, there are other couple of containers so its a multi-container instance.

Thank You, The link was really helpful

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.