Certificates for IP addresses

I am working on an open source control panel for Ubuntu that users can use in order to deploy and manage PHP websites. I felt a need of this control panel and I hope that it will serve the community.

So during the installation, mostly users don't point any domains. And I want to serve the control panel over the IP address on a custom port and over HTTPS using a valid SSL certificate. I initially used self-signed certs, but then I found that ZeroSSL does provide SSL certificates for IP addresses too.

They have mentioned unlimited 90 days SSL certificates under their pricing plans, but for an open source project, I am expecting to get a lot of users. And I am sure that ZeroSSL isn't going to like if I use a single account to generate SSLs for the users of the control panel.

This is one single use and this is specific to the control panel that I am developing. But I am sure that a lot of other users and businesses are also needing this feature. Where Let's Encrypt has brought a revolution when it comes to serve secure websites, I sincerely request that please consider this feature request. If you are a normal user like me, do reply here and support this thread to get attention of the LE team. Desperately looking forward for this feature.

4 Likes

Yep, it's been on our radar for a long time. We hoped to get to it this year, but other higher priorities (such as the chain change) arose which have bumped ACME-IP further into the future. It's still something that we hope to do, but not something we plan to do at this time.

4 Likes

:astonished:

Are IP address SANs back on the table now? I thought I heard somewhere recently that they were permanently shelved.

2 Likes

it was "too large: we maybe look this again in 2022"

5 Likes

This was way too hard for me to find, but i did remember this comment:

8 Likes

That's the one. Glad you found it, @jvanasco. I tried a few searches, but came up empty.

:yellow_heart:

3 Likes

I only remembered that was from a male LetsEncrypt staff member with a black and white photo, and started digging through the posts/comments on each staff member's profile.

Pretty much all their staff photos are black & white.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.