Certificate: Some challenge is failed

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: edisoncamera.store

I ran this command: sudo certbot ceronly --manual --preferred-challenges=dns -d edisoncamera.store

It produced this output:

Certbot failed to authenticate some domains (authenticator: manual). The Certificate Authority reported these problem:
Domain: edisoncamera.store
Type: unauthorized
Detail: Incorrect TXT record "..." found at _acme-challenge.edisoncamera.store

Hint: The Certificate authority failed to verify the manualy created DNS TXT records. Ensure that you created thes in the correct location, or try waiting longer for DNS propagation on the next attempt

Challenges have failed.

My web server is (include version): Apache/2.4.59

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Red Hat Fedora

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): 2.11.0

Hello, before you respond, I will explain everything I have done.

First, I used the command:

sudo certbot certonly --manual --preferred-challenges=dns -d edisoncamera.store

I received a code which I provided to my DNS for propagation. I successfully obtained my certificate.

After getting my certificate, I made some very silly mistakes while trying to convert my HTTP to HTTPS, but I couldn't succeed. I thought maybe I installed the certificate incorrectly (even though it was correct). So, I used the commands:

sudo rm -rf /etc/letsencrypt/live/edisoncamera.store
sudo rm -rf /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/edisoncamera.store.conf
sudo rm -rf /etc/letsencrypt/archive/edisoncamera.store

to delete the certificate and then reinstall a new one.

However, after deleting these files, I noticed that it didn't completely delete the certificate because when I used the command:

sudo certbot certonly --manual --preferred-challenges=dns -d edisoncamera.store

it said that my certificate already existed. I did some more research and found that I could use the command:

sudo certbot delete --cert-name edisoncamera.store

to delete the certificate properly. But it said that it was missing some "file," which were the ones I had deleted, so my certificate can no longer be deleted or renewed normally and I can't create a new because the old is detected.

So, to resolve the problem, I created a new virtual machine with the same configuration. Now, I am getting the current result with "some challenges failed," even though I received the key and sent it to my DNS, and the propagation was done correctly like the first time.

I reached the limits for request my certification, they blocked me 2 days , and 2 days later if I still make too many mistakes they will reblock my domain so I really need help thank you !!!

Hi @Lingyumumu,

Please do testing and debugging using the Staging Environment as the Rate Limits are much higher.

And to assist with debugging there is a great place to start is Let's Debug.

1 Like

Yet I see this with curl "Server: nginx/1.18.0"

$ curl -Ii http://www.edisoncamera.store/
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: nginx/1.18.0
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2024 00:11:34 GMT
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Length: 10701
Last-Modified: Sun, 09 Jun 2024 18:53:15 GMT
Connection: keep-alive
ETag: "6665fa1b-29cd"
Accept-Ranges: bytes