Certbot with Linux Mint XAMPP

I have a basic website that I would like to get ssh on. I am using XAMPP v8.0.10-0 and linux mint 20.1 cinammon. I have followed this tutorial.

do not have a domain, just a public IP address

I ran this command:
sudo certbot --apache

It produced this output:
The apache plugin is not working; there may be problems with your existing configuration.
The error was: NoInstallationError('Cannot find Apache executable apache2ctl')

Yes I can log in as root, through SSH or by being at the server physically.

The control panel is XAMPP v8.0.10-0, but I edit all pages on the website through terminal by the command nano

I am using the latest version of certbot, 1.20.0

I believe the error was produced because it is looking in /var/(something) for apachectl, which I know is the file that apache2 is in when you only install apache2, not XAMPP. XAMPP is in /opt/lampp/. There is a "ctlscript.sh" in /opt/lampp/ that I think may be what we want it to run.
Any help is appreciated!

It seems your Apache installation is not supported out of the box by certbot. However, certbot has many command line options to set certain Apache file paths et cetera.

Please look for the "apache:" sentence in the certbot documentation at User Guide — Certbot 1.19.0.dev0 documentation

There you'll find many --apache-...... command line options. Please check all the options without "None" or "False" as their default option and check if it corresponds with a valid value for your Apache installation. Note that the default --apache-le-vhost-ext value is just fine: it controls the suffix the plugin will use to generate the HTTPS virtualhost file. So that's not a value related to your Apache installation.

So I make sure that the file path for each switch has the correct value for my XAMPP setup?
I tried this:

sudo cerbot --apache-server-root /opt/lampp/apache2/

I tried that because the root directory of XAMPP is located at /opt/lampp/ and the apache in it is at /opt/lampp/apache2
the output:

Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Certbot doesn't know how to automatically configure the web server on this system. However, it can still get a certificate for you. Please run "certbot certonly" to do so. You'll need to manually configure your web server to use the resulting certificate.

I think I am simply entering in these commands wrong. Sorry for taking so long to reply.

It might be required to also include the --apache-ctl and/or --apache-bin options (with of course the correct values).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.