Certbot: error: unrecognized arguments: --agree-dev-preview true

Hello, I’ve a newly-emerging issue with letsencrypt despite the fact that i’ve been using it for 2 years without that problem and that I didn’t modify anything regarding letsencrypt recently.

I ran this command:
/opt/letsencrypt/letsencrypt-auto certonly --webroot -w /var/www/prestashop -d domain.fr -d www.domain.fr

It produced this output:
usage:
letsencrypt-auto [SUBCOMMAND] [options] [-d DOMAIN] [-d DOMAIN] …

Certbot can obtain and install HTTPS/TLS/SSL certificates. By default,
it will attempt to use a webserver both for obtaining and installing the
certificate.
certbot: error: unrecognized arguments: --agree-dev-preview true

My web server is (include version):
Apache2

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):
Yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
No

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot):
certbot 1.0.0

Even if I only execute the command ‘/opt/letsencrypt/letsencrypt-auto’, it produces the same output wrote above.
I’ve searched through the script files for ‘–agree-dev-preview’ but found nothing.

Help

1 Like

The certbot-auto script upgrades itself automatically by default. You seem to be running the most recent version, v1.0.0, so the upgrading seems to be enabled.

Further more, the agree-dev-preview option was deprecated on December 2nd in 2015 and was ultimately removed from certbot on November 4th 2019.

Probably your certbot has the agree-dev-preview mentioned somewhere in its configuration, perhaps /etc/letsencrypt/cli.ini.

2 Likes

Thanks it was exactly the problem!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.