This story starts with me receiving an email the certificates for my domain can not be renewed. I tried to renew manually and got the error message listed below (timeout during connect (likely firewall problem)).
I have been using certbot for years now and have extensive host/networking experience.
I simplified everything and even reinstalled nginx/certbot, removed the certificates and tried to recreate them but still the same error.
I tried 'telnet www.janvanoorschot.nl 80' and got a correct reply from nginx. I tried to create the '.well-known' file manually and then copied the exact URL from the error message and paste it in my browser and it worked. I also remote ssh'ed in a friendly host and did a 'wget' for the same file and it worked.
I also did a 'watch -n 1 ls -al' in the .well-known' directory during the certbot operation but saw no file being created.
Can anybody please help? I am running out of idea's.
Thanks! ... Jan
Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.
My domain is:
I ran this command:
sudo certbot --nginx -d janvanoorschot.nl -d www.janvanoorschot.nl
It produced this output:
Requesting a certificate for janvanoorschot.nl and www.janvanoorschot.nl
Hint: The Certificate Authority failed to verify the temporary nginx configuration changes made by Certbot. Ensure the listed domains point to this nginx server and that it is accessible from the internet.
My web server is (include version):
nginx ( nginx-core (1.18.0-6ubuntu14.3)
The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):
I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):
Using nmap -Pn I see nothing of significance This one seems strange to me.
And this one looks normal to me.
$ nmap -Pn janvanoorschot.nl
Starting Nmap 7.80 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2023-03-20 14:55 UTC
Nmap scan report for janvanoorschot.nl (22.214.171.124)
Host is up (0.15s latency).
rDNS record for 126.96.36.199: dev.robomindacademy.com
Not shown: 995 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
25/tcp filtered smtp
80/tcp open http
135/tcp filtered msrpc
139/tcp filtered netbios-ssn
445/tcp filtered microsoft-ds
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 40.61 seconds
Also the traceroute hints to me of a routing loop; 17 & 18 are the same.
$ sudo traceroute -T -p 80 janvanoorschot.nl
traceroute to janvanoorschot.nl (188.8.131.52), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 0.190 ms 0.140 ms 0.224 ms
2 184.108.40.206 (220.127.116.11) 6.272 ms 6.258 ms 6.245 ms
3 ae-312-1258-rur102.beaverton.or.bverton.comcast.net (18.104.22.168) 6.742 ms 6.728 ms 6.667 ms
4 22.214.171.124 (126.96.36.199) 6.085 ms 6.071 ms 6.568 ms
5 ae-69-ar01.troutdale.or.bverton.comcast.net (188.8.131.52) 15.439 ms 12.863 ms 12.850 ms
6 be-36241-cs04.seattle.wa.ibone.comcast.net (184.108.40.206) 16.373 ms be-36221-cs02.seattle.wa.ibone.comcast.net (220.127.116.11) 15.648 ms be-36241-cs04.seattle.wa.ibone.comcast.net (18.104.22.168) 15.626 ms
7 be-2113-pe13.seattle.wa.ibone.comcast.net (22.214.171.124) 16.516 ms be-2213-pe13.seattle.wa.ibone.comcast.net (126.96.36.199) 12.743 ms be-2113-pe13.seattle.wa.ibone.comcast.net (188.8.131.52) 12.637 ms
8 ae-9.a02.sttlwa01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net (184.108.40.206) 12.379 ms 12.333 ms 12.304 ms
9 ae-2.r24.sttlwa01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net (220.127.116.11) 15.667 ms 15.641 ms *
10 ae-11.r20.nwrknj03.us.bb.gin.ntt.net (18.104.22.168) 76.058 ms 76.043 ms 76.029 ms
11 ae-9.r20.londen12.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net (22.214.171.124) 147.383 ms 147.368 ms 147.871 ms
12 ae-11.r20.amstnl07.nl.bb.gin.ntt.net (126.96.36.199) 154.671 ms 146.154 ms 146.773 ms
13 ae-0.a00.amstnl07.nl.bb.gin.ntt.net (188.8.131.52) 159.230 ms 159.198 ms 157.998 ms
14 xe-1-5-1-0-4070.a00.amstnl07.nl.ce.gin.ntt.net (184.108.40.206) 162.916 ms 156.622 ms 161.692 ms
15 rc03-po4.core.as41887.net (220.127.116.11) 153.436 ms 147.642 ms 146.584 ms
16 rc02-xe-0-0-3.bbd.as41887.net (18.104.22.168) 149.174 ms 153.629 ms 145.518 ms
17 dev.robomindacademy.com (22.214.171.124) 150.546 ms 150.441 ms 144.811 ms
18 dev.robomindacademy.com (126.96.36.199) 146.009 ms 149.976 ms 154.788 ms
I bow low. This is my office firewall, a Turris router. It installed (and activated!) a 'Advanced Security & Analytics - Turris Sentinel' package that contains a Dynamic Firewall. I disabled/uninstalled this package and now i can install certificates.
So Mike seems to be right, it was a firewall block. I have no idea why that Turris Sentinel thing blocks the Let's Encrypt staging system.
Thanks for your support!! ... this was one i could not have done on my own.