Can't renew because: autorenewal in -31 days

I have the following situation: most probable after an update of directadmin the letsencrypt settings in directadmin were gone.

(supposed) Renewal date: Jan 16 21:13:06 2021 GMT
After enabling renewal in directadmin.conf: Let's Encrypt in use. Auto-renewal in -31 Days.

Now I can't renew the expired certificates.

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:sportswise.nl

I ran this command: certbot --apache

It produced this output: le_http_01_challenge_pre.conf could not be found to be deleted. Certbot probably shut down unexpected

My web server is (include version):apache

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):CentOS

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: transip

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): yes

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):1.11.0

1 Like

Welcome to the Let's Encrypt Community :slightly_smiling_face:

Sorry you're facing this strangeness. It looks like your certificate should have autorenewed in December. Let's get to the bottom of this.

Please show the output of the following commands:

sudo certbot certificates

sudo ls -lR /etc/letsencrypt/archive

sudo ls -lR /etc/letsencrypt/live

Certificate History
1 Like

Can't forget the sudo! :grin:

1 Like

sudo certbot certificates

Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log

No certificates found.

sudo ls -lR /etc/letsencrypt/archive

ls: cannot access /etc/letsencrypt/archive: No such file or directory

sudo ls -lR /etc/letsencrypt/live

ls: cannot access /etc/letsencrypt/live: No such file or directory

Additional info, the letsencrypt folder contains: accounts csr keys options-ssl-apache.conf renewal renewal-hooks

More info: there are 2 websites on the vps, active and correctly working with lets encrypt. One of them wil autoupdate within 2 days or something.

Thanks in advance

1 Like

You're using the latest version of certbot, have no certificates, and yet have two working websites with Let's Encrypt certificates. How!? Where are they?

I just noticed that you said you are using a control panel. Are you using that or certbot to acquire your certificates?

I originally used DirectAdmin to acquire the certificates.
Did an update to DA and had no problems, but after finding out there was no renewal I checked the DA conf and found there was no reference to lets encrypt so I added it.

That lead to show me -31 days for renewal message in DA. But there seems no way to renew using DA.

Afterwards I tried using certbot. But I guess I must have messed up somewhere along the line using the command line.

A working site on the vps: ET-ernity.com

1 Like

Ok, the problem is solved.

After you asked about DA I realized the problem should be within DA.

So I

• adjusted the DA conf, rebuild everything. (including: ./build letsencrypt)
  • requested new certificates (using: ./letsencrypt.sh request_single)
  • redid the settings within DA
    After that all was fine.

Thanks for your support and setting me on the right path!

Now is there a way to set this to Solved?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.