Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.
I ran this command: No command - the certificate is set to auto-renew through the Plesk extension
It produced this output: Could not renew Let`s Encrypt certificates
My web server is (include version): Plesk 18.0.35 Update #2
The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu 20.4
My hosting provider, if applicable, is: IONOS
I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): Yes
I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): PLesk 18.0.35 Update #2
The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): n/a
The error occurs if the website is set to "Redirect from http to https" in the Let's Encrypt extension in Plesk. The only solution for renewals is to switch that option off, go to the Hosting Settings and also make sure that "Permanent SEO-safe 301 redirect from HTTP to HTTPS" is switched off. Then I can reissue manually.
What's the point of having an automated renewal option if you then have to do it manually?
This always used to work OK. It no longer works Why?
Not sure if this just the case when your webbrowser can't find the requested file, but your HTTP to HTTPS redirect seems to be incompatible with the ACME challenge. If I curl a test file (which doesn't exist) with the command curl -LIv grahamjones.co.uk/.well-known/acme-challenge/test, I get the following redirects:
I think this is going to be a bit of detective work.
I have one plugin (Rankmath) that has redirections. There is no matching redirect.
I have checked the database for the site using phpMyAdmin - no matching redirect there.
I have been through the .htaccess file and there is no redirect there either...!
Having said all this - the real problem still exists on all my other sites as well. And this problem did not exist until the past couple of weeks. Automatic renewals fail. Manual renewals are only possible if I turn off the HTTP to HTTPS redirect. That's the real issue I need solving - though thanks for pointing out the problem with one of my sites which I now have to repair...!
As we have been trying to get across, that is not problem at the Let's Encrypt end. Boulder (the software Let's Encrypt uses) is quite happy to follow an HTTPS redirect to find the file it is looking for. But your servers aren't just sending it to an HTTPS redirect with the file it wants at the far end, they're sending it to look at something else entirely, in the case we've looked at it was this testimonials.html and of course that isn't the file it needs to see.
Here's an insight: Why the testimonials page? Well, if I visit a URL that ends with holiday instead of test, I get a page about " Holiday web sites arrive late to the party". So I suspect there is some SEO "magic" trying to guess what your visitors might want and redirect them to it. Do you remember installing stuff like that?
Welcome Back to the Let's Encrypt Community, Graham
is almost always caused by the Site Address (URL) and WordPress Address (URL) settings in the core of WordPress. This can be seen clearly by entering http://grahamjones.co.uk/.well-known/acme-challenge/test into redirect-checker.org. The page linked below explains many ways to change these settings.
Based on the presence of the X-Powered-By: PleskLin header in the second redirect, I would surmise that some aspect of the WordPress plugin/app itself in Plesk may be responsible for your wayward redirect.
The trouble with howtostudyonline.com is a different story. Let's Debug is seeing a timeout when connecting to your IPv6 address (AAAA record in your DNS). This is happening before any http to https redirect.
The AAAA timeout being reported by Let's Debug is happening when connecting via http, not https, so the only way I can think that an http to https redirect could be responsible is if having that redirect turned on results in somehow crippling the AAAA port 80 VirtualHost in the underlying webserver configuration (which is highly unlikely).
Timeouts are most likely caused by firewalls. If there isn't a service answering on a certain port, usually Linux servers respond with a "Connection refused". Timeouts are a sign that packets are actively dropped and firewalls are the most likely culprits to be dropping packets.